Kendall Helblig ’15: On the Verge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

This season, American University’s Department of Performing Arts produced Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, an adaptation of Pedro Almodovar’s 1980s film. Set in Madrid, the comedy-musical’s characters deal with heartbreak and uncertainty. See the final performances on Oct. 24 and 25. Senior Kendall Helblig plays Marisa in the ensemble. 

Her Campus American: Tell us about your AU life and post-college goals.

Kendall Helblig: I planned on only majoring in musical theater but added communication studies as a double major. After graduation, I’ll probably stay in D.C. and audition in the area. 

HCAU: What else are you involved in on campus?

KH: Treble in Paradise, an all-female a cappella group. 

HCAU: How long have you been involved in performing arts?

KH: I’ve been doing theater since I was in kindergarten. 

HCAU: Before your character’s transformation, Marisa is more reserved than the other female characters in Women on the Verge. What drew you to the part?

KH: Well, all the women go through transformations toward the end of the musical, but Marisa’s revelation occurred in a dream. I also liked that Marisa thinks she has everything figured out for herself in the beginning. 

HCAU: Your character is stuck in a dissatisfying relationship. How do you think Marisa relates to some women? 

KH: During rehearsals, we talked about how the characters were all searching for something. Marisa didn’t really know what she was missing. Women can empathize with that.

HCAU: Discuss the musical’s themes. 

KH: At the end, the characters find their agency, their identities and take control of what they want. At the same time, the main message is that you never know what life is going to bring. 

Photo Credits: Meriam Salem/AU Photo Collective