Kathryn Smith Makes NFL History

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

The Buffalo Bills have made history. On January 20, Kathryn Smith was hired as the NFL team’s first full-time female coach. Smith now serves as a special teams quality control coach for the Bills.

“Kathryn deserves this promotion based on her knowledge and strong commitment, and I just know she’s going to do a great job,” Rex Ryan says. Smith has worked the past two NFL seasons with Ryan directly.

According to ESPN, Smith served as Rex Ryan’s administrative assistant prior to her recent promotion. Bills co-owner Kim Pegula commented that it is “important to understand that Kathryn earned this position because she has shown she is qualified, dedicated and puts in the work needed for this role.”

Smith replaces former NFL safety Michael Hamlin in her new position.  

Many took to Twitter to express their congratulations, such as actress Alyssa Milano and New York Governor Andrew Cuomo.

“My top one is Barbie tweeting about my promotion,” Smith stated in a recent interview. Girl Scouts of America also praised Smith for her promotion and breaking another glass ceiling.  

The trailblazer says that her goal in this role is to do what she can to lead to team to great success, according to the Buffalo Bill’s website.                                                        

“It’s a tremendous honor to become the first full-time female assistant coach in the National Football League and I appreciate Rex Ryan giving me this opportunity based on the merit of my work and commitment to this organization,” Smith said.

This role is a stepping stone for women to gain increasing opportunities within this profession, as Smith’s promotion marks a new era for women in sports

Smith began her NFL career with the New York Jets in 2003, serving as a Game Day and Special Events Intern, later becoming a Player Personnel Assistant and Assistant to the Head Coach for the same team. She left the New York Jets in January 2015 to serve as Administrative Assistant to Rex Ryan for the Buffalo Bills.

Photo Credits: 1

Bagel lover and coffee aficionado from the East End of Long Island. You can find her brunching in DC on Sundays and harmonizing to every song on the radio.