Jackie Ramsay ’16: NPR Intern

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Name: Jackie Ramsay

Age: 21

Major: International Studies

Minors: Communication, Spanish

Graduation Date: 2016

Her Campus American University: Can you describe yourself in three words?

Jackie Ramsay: Balanced, Reliable, Witty.

HCAU: Can you tell us a little bit more about your internship with NPR?

JR: I work in the Diversity department on a project called “Source of the Week.” Source of the Week is a blog that journalists at NPR and member stations can access to find a subject expert for an upcoming story. The blog is a guide that introduces these subject experts (or potential sources) to journalists and producers, and this helps to ensure that listeners are hearing a range of experts on the air. My day-to-day responsibilities include pre-interviewing sources, recording these interviews in sound booths, working with journalists to brainstorm potential sources, and writing our weekly newsletter that goes out to the entire NPR staff.

HCAU: What drew you to NPR?

JR: In SIS, my concentration is Identity, Race, Gender, and Culture because I believe that we all need to become aware of differences in order to reach human equality. I started a minor in communication because I want to make sure that our media is doing its part in representing our differences accurately, and I believe that the Diversity department helps NPR do just that. I remember while I was looking for communication internships I stumbled upon NPR’s intern blog, and I remember reading an interview with a previous Diversity intern who said, “I want to help make public radio look and sound like America.” After reading that line, I knew the position was a perfect fit.

HCAU: What is one take away from your internship so far?

JR: It sounds cliché, but I’ve learned that mistakes are crucial to the learning process, cause, man, I’ve made a lot of them. I remember I came into NPR thinking I was going to impress Diversity with my writing skills, but when I finished my first Source of the Week newsletter and sent it to our senior editor for review, he changed it so much that it didn’t even sound like my writing anymore. I’ve been discouraged plenty of times, but I’ve just had to grin and bear it, and keep going. Mistakes have made me perform better already.

HCAU: Has your internship helped you solidify career plans after graduation, or made you question what you’d enjoy doing?

JR: It’s definitely made me question what I’d enjoy doing. While I love the mission of the Diversity department, I’m learning that journalism is probably not the path I’m going to choose. It’s such a tough lifestyle – one of my supervisors is always traveling, and our senior editor sometimes emails me at 12:30 a.m. asking me to fix something. Deadlines are too real, journalists are really, really hard to get a hold of, and the newsroom is always lively and chaotic. While this is exciting, it’s so much pressure! I just don’t think I’m cut out for journalism, but every single day here has been a new experience, and I’ll be forever grateful for that.

HCAU: What are some other internship positions you’ve held?

JR: Over the summer, I was the Outreach & Communications intern for the American Red Cross Restoring Family Links department, which helps reconnect families who have been separated internationally by conflict or migration. Also when I studied abroad in Chile, I was a research intern at a political think tank, and I interned for my Congressman freshman year!

HCAU: How else are you involved on campus?

JR: I am a sister of Alpha Xi Delta and I serve on our executive board as Panhellenic Delegate!

HCAU: How have your campus involvements shaped your time at American?

JR: Alpha Xi Delta has helped make my college experience so much more exciting, worthwhile, and just overall positive. Being around women that constantly lift you higher is such a blessing, and they always have your back! Though AU isn’t a big school, I think it’s fairly easy to get lost in the buzzing campus culture and the DC lifestyle. Alpha Xi Delta has helped me become more balanced, practice my leadership skills, and connect with other women in other organizations. 

HCAU: What is one of your favorite AU memories so far?

JR: One of the biggest appeals of AU while I was touring was the study abroad programs, and they definitely did not disappoint! My favorite AU memory was studying abroad in Santiago, Chile last fall. I loved my program because I was able to have a healthy balance of spending time with other AU students while also being immersed in the Chilean culture by living with a host family and making Chilean friends at the University. Also, being comfortable with my Spanish skills is such an amazing plus.

HCAU: If you could tell your freshman self one thing, what would it be?

JR: “You’re going to find your place, just be patient.” Freshman and sophomore year I felt a little lost because I didn’t know where I fit in on campus, and I wasn’t really sure who I was yet, either. Going abroad, joining Alpha Xi Delta, learning my interests, and just having more life experience have all helped me to feel like I finally have a grasp at who I am and what my purpose is, and it took until senior year to figure it out. I was worried I never would, but it just took time. 

HCAU: Where do you see yourself in five years?

JR: Hopefully grad school! I see myself going to grad school for communication studies or something along those lines, but I definitely want to get some work experience under my belt first. Now that I’ve had a few internships, I’m seeing that most professionals have a master degree, and I think it’s probably going to become the norm in the future.

HCAU: And lastly, what are your top three favorite songs at the moment?

JR: “Hotline Bling” – Drake (The music video release has me playing it on repeat again)

“Music to Watch Boys To” – Lana Del Rey

“Player” – Tinashe

Photos belong to Jackie Ramsay

Gabriella Salazar is a junior at American University studying Public Communication and Marketing. She hails from sunny, sunny Los Angeles, California and her proudest moment is meeting Ryan Gosling at the Gangster Squad Premier in January 2013. She's a lover of ballet, wheat thins, food, music and cats; a hater of all things dumb and annoying--like traffic.