This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Imagine you just got home from a long day, you’re ready to relax, and the first thing you do is open up Tik Tok. You see the usual dances, jokes, cute animals, all the normal trends. And then you come across a blonde girl singing about falling in love with her best friend’s brother. After a little digging, you find that same girl singing that same song to her best friend, and you think, “Who is this crazy, lovesick singer?” Her name is Maise Peters, and she should be at the top of your playlists.

Who is Maisie Peters?

Maisie Peters is an artist who debuted her first album, You Signed Up For This, under Gingerbread Man Records, a label owned by Ed Sheeran. At first glance, Peters might just seem like another Tik Tok one-hit-wonder. Everyone on the app has heard the bridge to her hit “I’m Trying (Not Friends)”, but Peters’ discography has reached farther than just the For You Page. With over three million monthly listeners on Spotify, and a national tour under her belt, Maisie Peters is writing the soundtrack to twenty-somethings everywhere.

Peters is also one of many young, female artists who grew up on Taylor Swift, who paved the way for younger girls to know their worth and to not be afraid to call out those who harm them. Peters makes this artistic and beautifully vindictive play multiple times in her album, at one point singing, “I could be a grown-up/But baby you know what?/ Maybe I’ll release this song instead.” Her unapologetic and witty anthems are exactly what women in their twenties need to hear.

One of the lesser discussed but important aspects of her brand is her image as well. In the age of social media, it’s incredibly important to have a visually stunning performance and image in order to gain popularity and success- something that Peters excels at with her artsy style, funny and engaging Tik Tok personality, and her aesthetic, which is in-line with the colors and designs that are being popularized right now with Gen-Z and the resurrection of the Y2K style. She even runs an online book club through Instagram, to connect with her friends in a way that cherishes her own interest in reading. 

What is Peters Up to Next?

Peters is currently on tour, showcasing You Signed Up For This, and plans to open for Ed Sheeran this Summer across the United Kingdom. Her album, as well as all of her other music, is available on Spotify, and sneak peaks to her newest content are always being shared through her Tik Tok.

So, what does it mean to enter your “Maisie Peters Era”? It means that it’s time to be unapologetic about being your most authentic self, to wear your emotions on your sleeve, to put on your cutest outfit, and to take over the entire world. It’s time for us all to channel our inner Maisie Peters.

Hannah is a senior at American University. She's studying political science with a focus on race and gender in politics. She loves writing and baking, and can typically be found with a large iced coffee and a pair of knitting needles.