An Inside Look at Lilly Pulitzer for Target

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Target and Lilly Pulitzer are both well-established companies that have been around for a long time. Target is a large discount retailer, operating over 1,900 stores in the United States. It has been known for its collaborations with experienced and trendy fashion designers. Some of these partnerships have included the design teams of Proenza Schouler, Thakoon, McQ Alexander McQueen, Jean Paul Gaultier, Zac Posen, Missoni, Jason Wu, CFDA/Neiman Marcus, Phillip Lim, and many more. One of Target’s most successful collaborations was with Missoni. This design event was so successful that items sold out within hours and crashed Target’s website.

In January, Target announced that it’s newest collaboration would be with Lilly Pulitzer. This was a shock to many. Lilly was an unexpected partner for Target and there was a wild mix of reviews. Some loyal fans were concerned with how this collab with Target would affect Lilly’s image. But after the look book was released, their worries have surely been diminished. The look book exhibits exactly what Lilly is made of: bright colors and exciting patterns. The Target line not only has clothing pieces but also a variety of home items.

Customers will be able to purchase items starting April 19 online and in stores. The line has 250 items and there is something for everyone. There are a variety of price points that are in a more appealing price range than Lilly’s typical items.

Jeff Jones, Target’s Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer was gracious enough to answer some questions about the collaboration.

Her Campus American University: Who approaches who for the collaboration, the designer or Target?

Jeff Jones: Target has done over 150 collaborations and each one is unique. There is no formula. Sometimes we approach the designer and, fortunately, sometimes the designer expresses an interest in working with Target given our track record of success.

HCAU: Does Lilly bring Target the designs and Target approves them or do Target and Lilly work together on creating the designs? What is this process like?

JJ: It is truly a collaboration. We work closely with the brand and design team to ensure we’re helping bring their vision to life in the collaboration; and we leverage strengths we have in design, sourcing, manufacturing, marketing, etc.

HCAU: How much do sales increase when the collaboration lines are released?

JJ: The collaborations range in size.

HCAU: The collaboration with Lilly was a shock to many loyal Lilly fans, some had really positive reactions and others had the opposite. Do you think you will get new Target customers drawn in by the Lilly event?

JJ: The general reactions have been overwhelmingly positive to this collaboration and fans are eager for the products to arrive on April 19! Collaborations tend to attract guests loyal to the brand and new guests as well.

HCAU: Do you have any tips on how to make sure you get some of the products before they sell out?

JJ: I can’t give away all the secrets but I do have a few tips: 1. Pre-shop now so you know what you want, 2. Check target.com regularly during the night and get to the store early, and 3. Watch trends online as the collection is released as shoppers reveal what they are finding and where.

HCAU: Do you market your collaborations differently than your normal products?

JJ: Generally speaking, we market collaborations the same way we market overall, except the collaborations tend to be shorter campaigns in terms of their duration given the products are only available for a limited time.

HCAU: What went behind the decision to make both home products as well as clothing?

JJ: Both brands thought it would be exciting to extend the Lilly Pulitzer brand into many different categories, including home, and offer so many items guests have never seen before.

HCAU: How far in advance does Target have the collaboration planned before they release it to the public?

JJ: Each one has a different lead time, but generally the team is working a year in advance.

HCAU: What is Target anticipating to be some of the Lilly best sellers?

JJ: Based on early reactions and social commentary, we expect this collection to be a success…it truly has something for everyone at many different prices.

Be sure to head over to Target or check out target.com on April 19 to stock up on some limited edition summer essentials!

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3