timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

I Can’t Stand Lana Del Rey’s New Single – Here’s Why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Written by Yasmin Zand 

I want to start this out with a full disclosure: I really don’t like this song. If the title didn’t hint that, I don’t know how else to tell you.

Lana Del Rey recently released a song called ‘Love’ basically about, well, love. First off – no. This is not what I wanted to hear especially after the release and failure of her most recent album ‘Honeymoon’. Lana Del Rey has been known for her angsty, empowered sound that causes girls all over the country to find their inner revolutionary but, with this new song, that’s just not the case. This new song makes the listener think Lana’s foregone her angsty sexed-up teen phase and immediately grown into a nostalgic grandmother, reminiscing about the days where she used to be “young and in love”.

If I could tell Lana Del Rey to do one thing about her music going forward, it would be this:

Dear Lana,

Sweet, sweet Lana. Where did you go? I remember when you started off with ‘Born to Die’ and I felt reborn. You helped every girl grow and discover their inner badass, feeling the woes of love even though most of us hadn’t even encountered the things you were singing about. Then you came out with ‘Paradise’ and made us all have a revelation about who we are and who we could be. I miss that “be your own woman” American sound we know and love.   Your last bomb album was ‘Ultraviolence’, and looking back on it now, it sounded like your tell all to the world. You crooned about the trials and tribulations of making it to the top and how messed up everything is, in your own words, something out of a Tarantino movie. But then ‘Honeymoon’ came out. That was just awful. Really awful, and we all hoped you’d learn from your mistakes, and bounce back- but we were disappointed.

‘Love’ sounds like a lonely 90-year-old women reminiscing on the good ol’ days when she was young and in love. But you’re like thirty! The song is boring! Where is the adventure you used to preach about? What happened to being young, wild and free? In this song, you say, “Look at you kids with your vintage music”- Lana, you were a kid five years ago. Why do you sound like you’re preaching to the neighborhood kids on the porch of your home in Georgia? In the next verse you say “Look at you kids, you know you’re the coolest, The world is yours and you can’t refuse it”. What? I didn’t think I was sitting down for a lecture with my parents when I started listening to this song.

Hopefully, you’ll bounce back from this and give us the old Lana we all know and love and come back from this with a new album that will blow us out of the water.

Sincerely yours,

A Disappointed Fan

P.S. If you don’t believe me, you can find the song here:

Love on iTunes

Love on Spotify

Photo: 1, 2

Shannon is the former Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus American University. She is a Psychology major and is also a senior on the varsity swim team.