Culture > News

Hurricane Florence’s Aftermath & How to Prepare for Future Hurricanes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

It has been weeks since Hurricane Florence hit the Carolina coasts and they are still experiencing the effects. With at least 47 deaths across North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia, Florence has most definitely one of the worst storms that have hit the east coast since Hurricane Katrina. 

North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper, called a state of emergency as they anticipated Hurricane Florence’s arrival. The state has since transitioned to its recovery state. Flooding in North Carolina ranged from 24 to 36 inches, resulting in more than one million residents evacuating. According to the public state department, there has been an estimated $100 million worth of damage and $1.1 billion agricultural loss – so it is safe to say Hurricane Florence definitely took a tremendous toll on North Carolina and its nearby states. 

So how exactly should you prepare for future hurricanes? 

Well first and foremost, evacuate immediately with your family and pets if authorities tell you to. Call family and friends in safe areas and leave the area as soon as possible. Do not wait until the last minute or when it is too late to leave. If you are unable to leave, find out where your closest local evacuation shelter is in your city. 

Hit the stores and buy all the necessary supplies. Make sure you stock up on food and water for everyone, including the pets. Medication, first aid supplies are essentials for the storm as well. 

LIGHT! Make sure to have a flashlight (not just the one on your smartphone) and backup batteries to go along with it.

Prepare your home for the strong wind and extensive flooding, and put up plywood on the windows to prevent shatter glass. 

Fill up your car’s gas tank – it’s important to have a prepped vehicle in case you need to evacuate. 

As hurricane season comes to a close, keep these tips in mind to ensue your safety!

(Image Credits: cover

via%20GIPHY

“>2,

via%20GIPHY

“>4,

via%20GIPHY

“>6)

Joyce Chen

American '22

Joyce is a freshman at American University with an intended major in Business Administration. Born and raised in New York City, Joyce is taking advantage of the change in scenery living in DC. During her free time, she loves exploring museums with her friends and binge watch the same series Netflix. When she isn't studying or doing homework, she can be found sitting in at a local cafe sipping ice coffee and catching on reading.