The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

This year’s travels don’t have to wreak havoc on your skin!

As the holiday season approaches, many of us will be traveling home to see our friends and family, or perhaps on our way to enjoy a nice family vacation. Whatever the reason for packing your bags and getting on that flight, one thing is for sure: skincare on the go is essential, yet difficult to maintain.

Have you ever come off of a long flight and noticed that your skin doesn’t feel great? Whether it’s dry, itchy, extra oily, or breaking out, flying and traveling can do some wear and tear on your precious face.

There is a reason for this! Planes have a huge lack of humidity in their air cabins, with the humidity dropping to 20% on your flight, which is around 20-30% lower than a comfortable level of air humidity. Your skin gets increasingly dehydrated as a result of moisture being pulled to the surface of your skin from the deeper layers. Coupled with the increased air pressure restricting normal levels of blood flow and oxygen to the face, your skin may not feel its best when traveling for long periods of time.

With a few quick tips and tricks, you can maintain a hydrated and glowy complexion on your long flight with minimal effort and preparation. If you’re someone who appreciates good skin care and a glowing face, here are a few ways to make sure your skin looks its best during your holiday travels.

1. Pile on that SPF moisturizer
Given the dehydrating effects of traveling on the skin, it is no secret that moisturizer is your best friend when in an airplane environment. Depending on your skin type, dehydration can have different effects on the skin. You may just become super or dry, or you could become super oily as your face begins to overcompensate for the lack of moisture it is receiving. Extra oil gets pulled to the surface of your skin in order to protect it, causing clogged pores and possible breakouts.

Moisturizing your skin before, during, and after a flight is definitely the move to keep that skin glowing. Adding SPF to the moisturizer is also a great way to protect against harmful UV ray damage that can penetrate through windows and damage the skin. A quality SPF moisturizer that feels great on the skin is the Glossier Invisible Shield SPF daily sunscreen. It is super lightweight while still offering UV protection, and is a super convenient product to throw in your travel bag and bring along on your flight.

2. Sheet masks under PPE masks
While Covid mask mandates on planes are extremely necessary to stop the spread of the virus, masks have an additional drying factor on the skin. When combined with the dryness of the cabin, the conditions are a recipe for breakouts and a dull complexion. An amazing product to mitigate these effects are sheet masks. A recent development after the pandemic, these masks are designed to be placed on the bottom half of your face that is being covered with a mask. This way, your sheet mask can be hidden in the public environments of the plane and the airport whilst simultaneously protecting the skin from dehydration during the flight. Check out the Masque Bar Shield and Soothe Mask from Target for an affordable skin care option. Effective skincare does not have to break the bank while being a simple way to combat dehydrated skin.

3. Mini Humidifiers
I had never seen or heard of mini humidifiers until I had sat down next to a nice woman on a plane a few months ago. She showed me her mini cactus humidifier that she had read about in a travel article from Refinery29. I loved the idea of it and felt like I had to invest in one myself. Not only can it be used on dry airplanes, but the drying effects of the air in hotel rooms can be combated with a little bit of moisture from a humidifier.

4. Consider your lips
Lips are one of the most dry-prone areas of your entire body. Nothing is more uncomfortable than dry, cracking lips on a flight. Consider a non comedogenic, fragrance-free lip balm or chapstick for your flight. Your lips will thank you!

With these easy tips and tricks for keeping your skin fresh, you can feel your best this holiday season and focus on enjoying the company of your family and friends. Whether you’re going on an adventure or staying close, you and your skin will breathe a sigh of relief.

Alex Ziada

American '24

Alexandra is a senior studying legal institutions, economics, and government at American University. Other than writing, she is passionate about singing, writing music, criminal justice issues, and photography. Alexandra is currently a feature writer for HCAU.