study abroad spain barcelona palm trees beach summer sunny tropical
Cameron Smith / Her Campus
Culture > News

How to Help Puerto Rico Following Hurricane Fiona

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Weeks after Hurricane Fiona hit, Puerto Ricans are still struggling with the catastrophic damages that it caused. The hurricane unleashed massive landslides, knocked out the power grid and destroyed Puerto Rico’s infrastructure which had already been weakened from Hurricane Maria.

As of Sept. 29, there were still about 239,000 people without power and thousands without running water, according to Reuters. Hundreds of thousands of people have lost their homes and have been left with nothing. Here are some organizations you can donate to in order to help Puerto Rico.

1. “Unidos”: A Hurricane Relief Fund for Hurricane Maria Victims in Puerto Rico

This relief fund was created by a coalition of community organizations and New York City civic leaders including Mayor Bill DeBlasio. It is currently managed by the Hispanic Federation, a leading Latino nonprofit organization. One hundred percent of the proceeds will assist in recovery efforts and help hurricane victims through community and civic organizations in Puerto Rico. 

To donate via text, compose a new text message for number 41444. Type UNIDOS (space) YOUR AMOUNT (space) and YOUR NAME. (For example: Unidos 100 John Doe) Then press “send” and click on the link to complete your donation.

To donate via website, visit www.hispanicfederation.org/donate and select “Hurricane Relief Effort” from the drop-down menu.

To donate in person, visit any Popular Community Bank branch. Account name: Hurricane Relief Effort. Checking account number 6810893500.

2. Brigada Solidaria del Oeste

This organization has become the “first responder” for Puerto Ricans after Hurricane Maria and is doing the same in the aftermath of Fiona. They are reconstructing homes, reinvigorating community gardens and green spaces and installing solar panels. 

You can aid their efforts by donating emergency essentials such as water filters, water purification tablets, first-aid kits and solar lamps. 

They’re also accepting monetary donations: To donate via ATH móvil, send money to: /brigadasolidaria

To donate via PayPal, send money to: brigadasolidariaoeste@gmail.com

1. Global Giving 

Global Giving is a nonprofit that provides a platform for people to donate to ethical grassroots charitable projects. Following the hurricane, the organization launched the “Hurricane Fiona Relief Fund” with the goal of raising $1 million to support relief and recovery efforts in Puerto Rico.

Donations are being used to deliver food and emergency medical supplies, provide shelter, clean water, and hygiene products and support longer-term recovery efforts led by local organizations partnered with Global Giving. 

After you donate, Global Giving will even send you an email to let you know the impact that your donation has had. Donate on their website here and help reach their goal!

1. PRxPR

PRxPR is a private, non-partisan disaster relief fund specifically created to help rebuild Puerto Rico. Created by Puerto Rican business leaders, one hundred percent of donations are directed towards helping the most critically affected communities. PRxPR works with local organizations across Puerto Rico to provide relief focused on food and agriculture, clean water and fuel/renewable energy initiatives. 

You can donate to their fund directly on their website here

1. The National Puerto Rican Chamber of Commerce 

The Puerto Rican Chamber of Commerce is a nonprofit created to support small business expansion and entrepreneurship in Puerto Rico by representing the interests of businesses in the national government. The organization is currently raising money for disaster relief after Hurricane Fiona which you can donate to here.

The Chamber of Commerce is sponsoring events, such as local music nights, to strengthen the community while raising relief funds through ticket sales. Their website is also updated daily with news surrounding Puerto Rican development, weather conditions and progress in reconstruction following the hurricane. 

If you don’t want to donate to the Chamber of Commerce directly, they also provide a comprehensive list of ethical organizations to donate to for Puerto Rican relief. 

Maryjane is a junior at American University majoring in journalism and business. She is passionate about social justice, LGBTQ+ rights, and women's rights. Maryjane is an editor for HCAU and lives in D.C.