This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

The beginning month or so of school can be a tough time for anyone, with a lot of changes happening very quickly. Finding your groove after a long four months of summer can be rough, particularly when dealing with on campus activities, internships, jobs and schoolwork at the same time. Here are some tips on how to make sure you’re on track for the school year:

1. Have a record of your events/due dates

As soon as you receive your syllabi, internship/work schedule, etc write it down somewhere. Whether this is an online app like Google calendar or a planner, have a visual record of your due dates and schedule. This will help you know which weeks are more packed with work than others. I personally like using a planner for my large due dates/ on campus meetings and then adding post-it notes for smaller tasks/to-do lists I need to accomplish. Everyone has a different preferred method, it’s important to find yours.

2. Keep Consistent 

Try to plan your other tasks around your class/work/internship schedule to keep a productive schedule at hand. This will also help you wake up at the same time (you won’t miss those dreaded 8ams!) and get more of your work done. For example, if you have a block of time between two classes in a day, that is the perfect time for a quick study session in the library or a clean-up of a room.

3. Plan Ahead if You Can 

Sometimes you aren’t consistent and you’re running late- and that’s okay! Whether it be a missed alarm, a late Wonk bus, or just feeling lazy – it happens. To avoid being even later than you are though, there are small things you can do. Planning your outfit from the night before saves a large amount of time, especially if you have to iron a shirt for a job/internship. Keeping your backpack packed also helps. Before heading to sleep the night before, throw in whatever materials you need (notebooks, textbooks, planners, pens etc) and keep it near your door. There are a lot more things you can do to be prepped just in case, these are just a few.

4. Schedule chores and errands 

With a busy schedule, it can be hard to remember to do “adult” things. From grocery shopping to cleaning the bathroom, they’re not the first things you think of doing when taking your busy schedule into consideration. To avoid a complete mess and smelly laundry, plan out blocks of time which you can dedicate to chores in particular. I personally do all my tidying and cleaning for the week on Friday mornings, when I don’t have class. Chores might not be the most fun work to schedule but it’ll help you keep organized in the end.

5. Clean as you go 

To alleviate your choreload, avoid leaving messes around for a long time. For example, if you make a mess of your floor while flinging clothes around, clean it up right after. If you clean the small messes you make, it makes your choreload smaller and allows you to work in a more peaceful setting.  

6. Split chores with roommates 

If you know certain chores are time-consuming and you have a busy week ahead, ask your roommate if they can take the heavier load this week. If you make a chore schedule with your roommate, that’s even better. Personally, my roommate and I switch our chores every week. One week she’ll clean the bathroom and front end, the next week I will. Create a fair method that works with your roommate too.

7. Find your best study time and method 

There are certain times you’re going to wanna study and other times you simply won’t, no matter how hard you try. It’s important to try and find out the times where you’re most focused and motivated to study. There are also different methods that different people use to do homework/take notes. One way that I personally find useful is the forty-twenty method. With the forty-twenty method, you do your homework/studying for forty minutes and then reward yourself with a twenty minute break. There are many different methods to try, see what works best for you

8. Try not to study on your bed

On days off, it’s hard not to get out of bed, especially if the weather is rainy or cold. It’s tempting to bring your laptop and notebook into bed and just do your homework in your soft sheets and blankets. As great as this sounds, do your best to avoid it. You’ll end up working slower and possibly even fall back asleep – as I’ve done multiple times. At least head over to your desk or a communal space in your building to stay productive.

9. Ease your load

In college, it is easy to feel overwhelmed with a packed schedule. It’s important to recognize when to step back from involving yourself too much in activities. At the end of the day, it is your mental and physical health that is important. If a packed schedule is jeopardizing that, consider stepping back from a position in a club or taking less shifts at a job.

10. Treat yourself

Whether its’ with retail therapy, a nice meal outside of the dining halls or even a face mask and a manicure, treat yourself after all the hard work you’ve been doing. It’s a long fifteen weeks in a semester, so it can be easy to burn out if you don’t let yourself unwind a bit. Juggling everything going on in college can be hard, so take a break.

These are just a few of many tips that can help you manage a busy schedule within the semester. Are there any in particular that have personally helped you? Good luck and go kill it this semester!

(Image credit: 1234567)