How to Style Lingerie as Streetwear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

From slips, to lace body suits and strappy bras, wearing lingerie in everyday outfits has never been so chic. Celebrities such as Kim Kardashian can be seen wearing lingerie as street wear, and Victoria’s Secret even launched a campaign called ‘Inside Out’ that implied their lingerie could be worn out in public. Wearing lingerie outside of its normal use is edgy and makes a statement. Adding lingerie into your everyday wardrobe does not conform to society’s standards for when lingerie should be worn. Choosing what to wear out is about feeling good in your body, not meeting the expectations of our society. With that being said, it is also important to remember that there are definitely situations where you should not wear a see-through lace bodysuit, such as to a professional job.

Here are a few ideas for how to mix lingerie into your everyday outfits. 

Slip Dress and a Sweater

One of the simplest ways to incorporate lingerie into your outfits is through layering; there is no need to fully expose your lingerie to achieve this style. Slip dresses can be used as underlayers for long sweaters, adding some contrasting lace to your edgy outfit. 

Not only can you layer your outfits with short slip dresses, but long ones can look great too!  

Lace Bodysuit and Jeans

Lace bodysuits can easily be worn out in public when paired with jeans or a skirt. If it is colder out you can add a blazer or a sweater without ruining the look. The lingerie can add a soft side to any edgy look, such as the one pictured above.

Sheer Tops

Wearing sheer tops over bras is a trend that’s been around longer than wearing lingerie as streetwear has been. This look can be achieved with all sorts of styles of sheer shirts over all different styles of bras. Wearing a bralette underneath a sheer top is a great daytime look, whereas wearing a dark bombshell bra is a great way to transition the outfit to a nighttime look.

Simple Slip Dresses

You can also try out slip dresses that have no lace on them in multiple different ways. They’re great for layering over t-shirts and long sleeves, or on their own, or even layered under a sweater. What makes simple slip dresses so fun to wear out is that you can dress them up or down. Silky slip dresses can easily become a nightime outfit for going out, while layered slip dresses are perfect for the daytime. 

Photo Credit: 1, 23, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

I'm a freshman at American University (Class of 2020) currently studying International Relations and Arabic. I love clothing, cats, and photography; I also throw knives as a hobby.