How To Stay Healthy and Active After Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

After spring break is over and you have already gone to the beach, it may be hard to motivate yourself to stay healthy. This awkward period between spring break and summer means that you’re not too motivated to get in shape for summer, but you are totally done with the semester. There are some ways to still enjoy a healthy lifestyle without being pressured to get into the bikini body for a specific occasion. So how?

1. Buy healthy foods and avoid the junk food.

Whether you’re on or off campus, there are always ways to stay healthy and pick foods you want to eat. If you’re on campus, pick some items that will last longer just in case you decide to go to TDR for all your meals instead of eating in your dorm. Great foods that are nutritional and stay fresh for awhile are:

– Peanut Butter (get that post-workout protein in)

– Rice Cakes

– Chia Seeds

– Almonds

– Dried Fruit

2. Take advantage of the farmer’s market on Wednesdays.

Not many schools can say that they have a farmer’s market with organic vegetables, fruits and grains on their campus almost every Wednesday. Take advantage of the food coming to you straight from the source and get some fresh produce and fruits!

3. Get involved in intramurals.

Intramurals are an easy way to stay active while meeting new people. Whether a group of your friends want to start a team or you want to join a sport you used to play, but may not be pro at, you will have a schedule and be more encouraged to go exercise.

4. Go outside.

The great part about post-spring break in D.C. is that it is finally starting to get warmer. So go outside, play a sport on the quad, go hiking with friends and enjoy the great weather. Something as simple as throwing a football on the quad is a way to get some exercise in and keep yourself moving.  

5. Take advantage of what the school has to offer.

Jacobs and Cassell both are always having ways that you can go out and stay active outside of the gym. Go online or look at the flyers at the gym entrance to keep up with new opportunities they have organized from outdoor rock climbing to kayaking. Have some friends come along with you and all you usually have to do is pay a small amount and you can take part in the activity.  

6. Find friends who like to workout so you are surrounded by it.

These intramural sports, or the quad, or organized activities are a great way to meet people who like staying active and engaging in activities like you. It’s always easier to go to the gym or go outside if you have people you enjoy spending time with encouraging you to go. Create a group message with people like this and try to convince each other to stay on track and stay active.

7. Make a schedule.

When you are busy, you are less likely to frivolously eat, and more likely to eat the suggested meals a day. Make time for the gym and put it on your schedule! If you keep a consistent schedule for working out daily or every other day, you won’t need to cram working out in right before the summer – you will already be in good shape.

So whether you’re grabbing your bikini next week or in a few months, that shouldn’t dictate if you stay healthy. Staying active and eating right can be a goal at any time of the year, and the spring is a great time to keep going! Follow your schedule and try to follow the goal of 20 minutes of exercise a day!

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Tulane Chapter Senior at Tulane University Majoring in Psychology, Minoring in Public Health Originally from Fort Myers, Florida