How has “Crazy Rich Asians” impacted the Asian American community?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Playing in the theaters since August 15th, Crazy Rich Asians, and the first complete Asian casting since 1993’s The Joy Luck Club, has broken the box office performance for romantic-comedy since The Proposal in 2009 with an estimated $151 million in earning. 

The film is based on the novel Crazy Rich Asians written by author Kevin Kwan, who based the story on his childhood memories in Singapore. The movie stars Rachel Chu (Constance Wu) an economics professor at New York University, unknowingly dates one of Singapore’s most eligible bachelor Nick Young (Henry Golding). The pair goes back to Singapore to attend Nick’s best friend’s wedding of the century. After arriving at Singapore, Rachel soon discoveries Nick hails from a wealthy background and goes through a whirlwind twist of drama as Eleanor Young (Michelle Yeoh), Nick’s mother, accepts who she is – a poor immigrant raised by a single mother. 

From tears to laughers, Crazy Rich Asian is not another movie that comes and goes but a film that will implant a movement for Asian representation in Hollywood. Many viewers have gone on social media to share the impact the movie has had on their life. Asian Voice editor from the Huffington Post, Kimberly Yam, tweeted about the struggle growing up Chinese in America from the offensive remarks on our small eyes to our accent and to the point where she did not want to be Chinese. The movie, however, showcased the beauty of the Chinese culture and highlighted the pride Yam has of being Chinese. Before the movie hit the theaters, leading actress, Constance Wu, went on Twitter to share the importance of the Crazy Rich Asian and the impact the movie had on her. Wu states, “I hadn’t even don’t a tiny part in a studio film…I never dreamed I would get to star in one…because I had never seen that happen to someone, who looked like me.” Crazy Rich Asian is not just a rom-com, but the beginning of a change in Hollywood for people of color.   

Personally, as an identified Asian American, watching a movie circled around my identity and culture was not only refreshing, but it gave me a sense of pride as well. Being able to see people like me on the big screen for the first time and understanding all the references that were made makes me proud to be an Asian American for the first time. Crazy Rich Asian director, Jon Chu, has announced shortly after the movie was showing that the sequel is in its early stage development at Warner Bros. In the meantime, I will go prepare the popcorn and tissues. 

Image Credit: Cover123

Joyce Chen

American '22

Joyce is a freshman at American University with an intended major in Business Administration. Born and raised in New York City, Joyce is taking advantage of the change in scenery living in DC. During her free time, she loves exploring museums with her friends and binge watch the same series Netflix. When she isn't studying or doing homework, she can be found sitting in at a local cafe sipping ice coffee and catching on reading.