Culture > News

How the Biden Campaign Plans to Tackle Social Justice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

One of the biggest questions about the upcoming election is how the result will impact America’s movements for social justice and equality. Such a monumental issue cannot be taken lightly but also requires specific actions rather than vague promises. The question is: what doest he Biden Campaign actually plan to do in order to bring social justice to the US?

Joe Biden talks with voters
Photo by Phil Roeder from Flickr

On joebiden.com it is specified that the Biden Campaign believes in working towards “An economy where Black, Latino, Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI), and Native American workers and families are finally welcomed as full participants.” This is a much needed goal. The website lists more specific ways to achieve this goal such as: helping small businesses that are run by BIPOC, protecting Native artisans, ensuring equal access to the housing market, and lending aid for BIPOC with student debt.

First, the Biden Campaign has the goal of helping small businesses, especially those run by BIPOC. The website reminds its readers that “The Obama-Biden Administration’s State Small Business Credit Initiative (SSBCI) succeeded in expanding venture capital in states and areas” by allowing “More than 80% of venture capital supported by the SSBCI . . . to [go to] states that typically receive just 20% of private venture capital.”

According to his website, Biden plans to allocate “$10 billion from the new Small Business Opportunity Fund to state and local venture capital programs that . . . [will have] an emphasis on reaching businesses owned by Black and Brown people.” This means helping the businesses that get neglected, which is often the small businesses run by BIPOC.

The Biden Campaign also has the goal of aiding Native artisans. His website states that “Biden will call on the U.S. Department of Justice to bring more prosecutions under the Indian Arts and Crafts Act, a federal truth-in-advertising law that prohibits the marketing and sale of products that are inaccurately marketed as an Indian product or Native-produced.”

This will protect Native artisans from competing with fraudulent artists. This is especially important because, as stated on joebiden.com, arts and crafts are an integral part of the Native American’s economy.

In addition, to help families and ensure equal access to the housing market, “Biden’s new First Down Payment Tax Credit will help low- and middle-income families offset the costs of home buying and help millions of families lay down roots for the first time.”

Joe Biden speaking in front of an American flag
Photo by Gage Skidmore from Flickr

The Trump administration took apart the fair lending and fair housing protections for homeowners. Biden will combat this and “will ensure effective and rigorous enforcement of the Fair Housing Act and the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act. And, he will reinstate the federal risk-sharing program which has helped secure financing for thousands of affordable rental housing units in partnership with housing finance agencies.”

One more goal to help all Americans is Biden’s goal of providing relief to people struggling with their student debt. This is especially important as an equality issue because, according to Biden’s website, “Student debt burdens are unequal across races, disproportionately depriving young Black and Latino graduates from beginning their working lives free of crushing student loan debt.” For example, “The typical bachelor’s degree graduate has about $16,000 in debt compared to $23,400 for Black students.”

To reform this issue Biden will “Forgive all undergraduate tuition-related federal student debt from two- and four-year public colleges and universities and private HBCUs and MSIs for debt-holders earning up to $125,000.” He will also “Make public colleges and universities, as well as private HBCUs and MSIs, tuition-free for all families with incomes below $125,000.”

The Biden Campaign plans on tackling racial inequality through specifically focusing on BIPOC’s small businesses and uplifting them, protecting Native artisans, standing up against inequality in the housing market, and providing relief to people with student debt, especially for students who are BIPOC. All of these specific ways to uplift those who are impacted by inequality are steps towards a better, more fair country.

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Photos: Her Campus Media

Grace Hasson is a dedicated writer and poet. She is studying English literature and music at American University. She is a part of the class of 2022.