This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

We all have our busy schedules, between managing school, work, and socializing. While it’s important to keep all of these plates spinning, it can sometimes start to feel dull and repetitive. Along with this can come creative obstacles like writer’s block, or simply lack of inspiration. If these are problems you’re facing, here are a few tips to help you get in touch with your creative side.

Pick up a new craft

Is there a craft or art you have always wanted to try? Creative writing? Photography? Graphic design? Don’t let intimidation hold you back. Maybe you don’t have time to take a class on the subject, but why not teach yourself? Trying a new medium might give you a new perspective that you can apply to other parts of your life. Rent a camera or find some books on learning the basics of some design programs. Maybe its time to follow some new Pinterest boards.

Start a journal

This is something I think everyone should have. If you’re like me, you might always have a hundred ideas and thoughts rolling around in your head. Keeping a journal helps you process those ideas. Things can often look a lot simpler on paper. It is also interesting to look back at a few months before and see what was running through your mind at that time. Maybe you will rediscover an idea you had before, or find one you can save for later. Express yourself; don’t worry about any of it making sense. Think of it of a private therapy or brainstorm session.

Cooking

You may see it as a necessity, or even a burden, but there is nothing more creative than putting together a meal. Find a new recipe, a couple of friends and plan a fantastic Sunday night dinner! Or, for those of you who are even more adventurous, rather than following a recipe, what about creating your own? Crazy right? Actually it can be a lot of fun and experimental. Learn about which fruits and vegetables are in session, meaning they will taste the best. Find out which flavors work well together and create your own combination. You have to eat, why not have fun with it?

Read more than just your syllabus

This one is not as easy as it sounds, I know. Who actually has time to read a book that isn’t for a class? But there is no better way to improve your critical thinking. Make sure you find something that you enjoy – something that makes you feel an emotion, engage in a conversation, or that inspires you to find out more. If you really don’t have the time, try poetry and short stories. 

Go to a show

Music, comedy, theater – the list goes on. Watching others express themselves in their creative worlds can be an incredible source of inspiration. Experiencing a live performance can awaken all sort of ideas, and it’s also a great opportunity to let loose! If you are someone who frequents concerts, try the comedy circuit.

Go to a panel

Listen to people discuss issues and topics that are important to you, or a subject matter that you are eager to learn more about. There are so many important conversations going on in politics, media, and social justice. If you feel courageous enough, participate. Maybe you consider yourself an expert on a subject. Ask yourself, “What can I bring to the conversation?” Open up your mind to new perspectives, find new ideas to question, agree with, or disagree with.

Visit a museum or gallery

Take advantage of the art and museum scenes this city has to offer. Grab a friend or take some personal time to wander and experience someone else’s interpretation of creativity. When you look at art you can actually learn a lot about yourself, as you identify and understand the values expressed. Challenge yourself to understand the artist’s purpose. 

Accessing your creative side can help you keep calm and learn to express yourself. So get out there!

Photo Credit: 1 2 3 4