Hero?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Hero?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media
Style

Here’s Your Wakeup Call to Support These Black Owned Clothing Brands

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

As the fight for Black lives is still on the rise, it is important to acknowledge Black excellence in all fields, more specifically in the fashion industry. In a predominantly white community, Black designers have expressed some difficulty competing with their white counterparts in a society that profits off of white-owned businesses. In honor of our hardworking Black creators, here is a list of some Black owned clothing brands to support in these times of change.

Adorned by Chi

If you are into the pastel-kawaii aesthetic, Adorned by Chi can hook you up with all the essentials. This brand truly is unique because of its creativity, more specifically the use of their “brand characters” Adaze, Gogo, Kelechi, Kaira, and Emeka. As stated by the creators of Adorned by Chi, “our characters illustrate the diverse Black woman: moody & brooding, soft & sweet, bubbly & happy, spiritual & serene.” As for the clothing offered, there is a wide assortment of graphic tees, crop tops, and hoodies, as well as pins, patches, and other accessories to add to your wardrobe!

Gammin Threads

Calling all my graphic tee enthusiasts! If you love making a statement on your t-shirt, you check out Gammin Threads has to offer! Creator Tahnee Edwards, a descendant of the Australian Yorta Yorta, Taungurung, Boonwurrung, and Mutti Mutti nations, states that her passion for her brand was stemmed from “a love of typography, language and blak pride.” Unlike the rest of the brands on this list that cater to just womxn, Gammin Threads spreads its message in men’s and children’s apparel as well.

KAI Collective

If you have ever wanted to channel your inner Love Island night time outfit, you have to check out KAI Collective. A London-based brand created in August 2016 by fashion blogger Fisayo Lounge, KAI Collective “seeks to create clothing for multi-dimensional women who embrace their femininity.” Their catalog offers a wide variety of dresses, especially with a peasant-top accent, and does not shy away from silky materials either! 

NeedMyStyle

With a motto like “preventing wardrobe malfunction one day at a time,” NeedMyStyle is definitely the place to shop for wardrobe essentials. From unique cardigans to warm sweaters to even the cutest two-piece sets, NeedMyStyle hooks you up with the most comfortable Fall 2020 fashion. As the 26-year-old founder and mom of one says, “you can rest assure that your items are handled with love and care.”

Sorella

Los Angeles-born Sorella is your go to for getting that “insta-baddie” look reminiscent of celebrities like Kylie Jenner or Megan Thee Stallion. Founded in 2012 by Heather Sanders, the brand’s goal is to represent “strong women, working women, and independent women of all ages, colors, and sizes.” The site offers a lot of athleisure mixed with tighter fitted styles like bodycon dresses and unitards in neutral tones, which have especially been in style this fall.

While these brands mentioned are absolutely fantastic, there are still many Black owned brands out there to discover! We hope this article gave you some insight on the wonders of Black creativity and hope you will support these businesses as well as find other brands to shop from!

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Photos: Her Campus Media

Tiffanie Roye

American '24

Tiffanie (she/her) is currently a freshman at American University studying journalism. Some of her interests and hobbies include dancing, baking/cooking, bullet journaling, and advocating for racial justice and equality.