Ohio University Alden Library
Ohio University Alden Library
Hannah Moskowitz
Culture > News

HCAU’s Response to the Recent Racist Incident in AU’s Community

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Dear Her Campus American members and AU community members, 

Two days ago, a video was posted on social media featuring two AU students using racist, hateful, and derogatory language. Her Campus American vehemently condemns this behavior and we find it completely unacceptable. Her Campus American stands in solidarity with our black members, members of color, and all our marginalized members of Her Campus and the AU community. We pledge to advocate for every member of our organization and every member on campus through effective and truthful journalism, freedom of expression, and transparency of motive. As an organization that provides our members with a powerful platform on which they can freely express issues important to them, we intend to honor our mission of empowerment, inclusivity, diversity, transparency, and truthfulness.

Racism has no place on AU’s campus, in the media, or anywhere in general.

We call on the university’s administration to take swift and transparent action against this instance of racism and all instances of racism on campus. It is necessary to listen to black students and students of color about what action is necessary in order to avoid the cyclical perpetuation of racism.

In honor of Black History Month and in our standards and obligations of equality, we stand with all people of color and promise to “…never be fearful about what [we] are doing when it is right”- Rosa Parks. In her spirit, racial prejudice, injustice, and hatred will never be tolerated or expressed on Her Campus American’s platform and we intend to give power to all those that feel the need to utilize their voice. 

To that extent, if any of our general members or if anyone reading this article feels unsupported, please know our executive board and our community is here to support you. Alternatively, please see the information below for on-campus resources:

Center for Diversity and Inclusion: 202-885-3310

Counseling Center: 202-885-3500

Additionally, please feel free to reach out to hc.american@hercampus.com if there are any resources we can provide you with. 

In solidarity and in power,

Her Campus American Executive Board

Hannah Andress

American '21

Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus American. Currently an undergraduate student at American University involved in the Global Scholars program studying International Studies and Arabic. Preferred gender pronouns are she/her/hers. Her interests include national security, women in politics, international human and civil rights, and creating an impact that is long-lasting and sustainable.
Abby Henry, the President of Her Campus at American, uses she/her pronouns. She is a junior at American University studying Women's, Gender, & Sexuality Studies and Sociology. Her hometown is Canton, Ohio and she previously attended Syracuse University in New York. Her passions include but are not limited to transnational feminism, vegan chicken nuggets, and queer reproductive justice.