HCAU Woman of the Year
HCAU Woman of the Year
Jordyn Habib

HCAU Hosts Woman of the Year Event 2021

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Her Campus at American University hosted Woman of the Year for the first time in-person since pre-pandemic times on Nov. 17.

Each year HCAU chooses one woman from each college at American University to award as Woman of the Year based on their accomplishments and how they uphold the six pillars. 

These pillars include concern for social engagement, a strong commitment to academics and application beyond the classroom, willingness to share their understanding with a wider community, drive to help other women, striving to be a trailblazer and commitment to inclusion, diversity, inclusivity and justice. 

At this year’s event, there was a turnout of over 60 people including nominees and their friends. The event was filled with music, including Abba and throwbacks, and laughter; this event was not one to miss. 

HCAU catered Panera Bread for the event which was a hit. The main course was a variety of sandwiches including vegetarian options plus Panera’s amazing cookies and drinks. 

There was a variety of nominees from each school at AU, but there was one nominee from each school that stood out to HCAU and won the Woman of the Year award. 

College of Arts and Sciences

Ginger Schwarz is a woman in STEM, majoring in computer science. She knows over six programming languages, is currently developing two apps, and has worked with Boolean Girls to teach young girls how to code. 

Kogod School of Business 

Miranda McCoy is a freshman majoring in business and entertainment, with years of experience in the entertainment industry. She has worked in the entertainment industry for numerous years, has acted for five media campaigns advocating for current world issues and has worked under directors and producers to learn film set production protocols. She has also strived to create art scholarships in her hometown, to give aspiring young artists the chance at pursuing their dreams.

As a freshman McCoy said that it was “really welcoming to first semester have people who care about lifting up women.” 

School of Education 

Qudisa Saeed is a trailblazer with a deep concern for the environment and hopes to educate those who have been impacted by environmental changes by improving the educational curriculum to make it more accessible and environmentally conscious. 

She is an executive board member of the Muslim Student Association and the Vice President of Advocacy and Outreach. She also holds the role of deputy CEO at Homoglobin, promoting LGBTQ+ equality in education and healthcare. Qudsia is also a part of the Asian American Civic Engagement Collaborative and Justice for Muslims Collective. She also tutors for Raising a Village Foundations and AU Virtual Tutoring Corps in order to further her educational interests.

School of International Service 

Kristin Avenis is apart of American University’s honors program and is a first-generation college student. Avenis has focused on giving back to her community and her country. She has held multiple sustainability-focused internships as well as social justice internships. Avenis also dedicates her time to helping women within her community.

School of Public Affairs 

Alexandra Drakeford is the director of IDEA for AU College Democrats, a Frederick Douglass Scholar, elected Senator for the class of 2024, winner of the Princeton Prize in Race Relations, a Title IX advocate and a Social Justice Fellow for the MLK Jr. Memorial Foundation.

School of Communication

Sophie Austin is a current graduate student at American University and is a fellow at the Center for Public Integrity. She is the former editor-in-chief of The Eagle, American University’s official publication. Austin also earned a spot as an Emma Bowen Foundation fellow at Politifact as an undergraduate and is a member of the National Association of Black Journalists.

Austin has been an uplifting voice for women on campus since she began attending American University.

“I’m just grateful for all the experiences that I’ve been able to have for the past four-plus years that I’ve been at AU… I’m really grateful to be around such supportive people,” Austin said.

This is a tradition of HCAU’s for the last six years and will be continuing for the foreseeable future. Woman of the Year was created by HCAU to bring women from AU together to recognize their accomplishments and that is exactly what happened.

Gianna is currently a senior at American University in Washington, D.C., and is majoring in journalism and minoring in political science. She is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at American University. Gianna enjoys writing about Women's Advocacy, Politics and Pop Culture. She also loves to travel and find hole-in-the-wall restaurants in D.C.
Mackenzie Riley

American '23

Mackenzie is a sophomore at American University studying SIS with a minor in Spanish. She loves writing poetry and exploring Washington DC in her free time, discovering new hidden gems. She enjoys writing about environmental sustainability, campus safety, and self care!