Culture > News

HCAU Hosts Aishatu Yusuf, Associate Director of the National Black Women’s Justice Institute

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Her Campus American had the incredible opportunity to host Aishatu Yusuf, the Associate Director of the National Black Women’s Justice Institute, to discuss dismantling pathways to criminalization and confinement for Black women and girls, increasing and enhancing opportunities with and for formerly incarcerated women and girls and promoting healing-centered justice. She discussed her work with multiple social systems to create better outcomes for marginalized youth, young people, and their families.

“It is all about positioning yourself, expanding your mind and figuring out where you’re willing to go,” Yusuf said in response to career questions from the audience.

Yusuf talked about her time working for Eric Holder as a young adult and how the simple tasks dealt out to her provided the opportunity to listen and learn.

“I was so happy just to get him coffee!” Yusuf said. “So, something important to think about is you may have to create the jobs you want, and in order to do that, you have to be in those spaces. If that means being a legislative aid, making $25k a year, you’re in those spaces where policy is being made and those people will remember you.” 

Yusuf spoke about her background in criminal justice and her focus on child safety, youth and adult legal system reform, child protection and education policy. She further compounded her belief that change must be envisioned through an intersectional lens that captures race and gender identity.

Students and moderators were curious about the role college students play in facilitating change in our criminal justice system. Yusuf went on to say that our generation is making the change already, and that the conversations that our generation is willing to have in front of everybody are remarkable.

Again, HCAU is so grateful to the NBWJI and to Aishatu Yusuf for speaking about her experiences thus far. As both of our organizations strive to empower all voices, we are so appreciative of this collaboration and the words of wisdom imparted by Aishatu Yusuf.

Sources: 1, 2

Photos: Her Campus Media

Hannah Andress

American '21

Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus American. Currently an undergraduate student at American University involved in the Global Scholars program studying International Studies and Arabic. Preferred gender pronouns are she/her/hers. Her interests include national security, women in politics, international human and civil rights, and creating an impact that is long-lasting and sustainable.