Graffiti DC: The Art of War

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

The setting is a chilly winter night in one of DC’s most lively areas: U street. You enter Liv nightclub, climb up the stairs, and are greeted by heavy bass beats followed by sweet melodic sounds and the perfect pitch of Erykah Badu’s voice. Soon, a verbal fight breaks out. There is yelling, screaming, poundings of the chest, and even some tears. You realize you have walked into one of the most prolific events DC has ever seen. A war. But not just any war. You are about to witness Graffiti DC, slam poetry: the Art of War.

Last year, this was exactly my first experience with Graffiti DC. Maybe a bit less dramatic but definitely nothing short of memorable. I went with a friend, had to sit on the stage because the club was so packed, and for the next few hours I was mesmerized, entertained, and forever impressed by the energy in the room.

Graffiti DC is a poetry slam where people from all over DC can sign up and be chosen to participate. The participants have 3 minutes to spill their hearts and souls on the mic and are judged by 4 people from the audience and one guest judge. At the end of the night, the winner is awarded $100. They also proceed to the final round in May where they compete for a grand prize of $1000.

Now Graffiti DC isn’t super technical with scores, points, and doesn’t pay extreme attention to the grammar of the actual spoken word piece. What makes the event special is the passion of the poets, the energy the crowd feels, and the atmosphere that is set. Not to mention an award-winning cast of hosts that are a reason to come regardless of who is performing that night. Just last month, the number 1 ranked poet in the world, Ed Mabrey, featured at the slam. The live DJ, food, drinks, appreciation, and occasional “boo’s” are what make this event more than just a typical poetry slam. It is an experience to just be in the room. 

Graffiti DC goes down every 4th Wednesday of the month at Liv Nightclub at 2001 11th St. NW right off the U street Metro stop. Doors open at 7 PM with $10 admission and $15 after 8 PM. If you are looking for an alternative way to spend your night out or just simply to be rejuvenated mid-week by some amazing talent, feel free to come by! 

Follow GDC on TumblrTwitter and Instagram for the latest updates.