GIRLS WHO ROCK: NYC Concert Benefits She’s the First

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Great music and a great cause: Girls Who Rock is an annual concert that supports girls’ education worldwide. 

A production that aims to bring together technology, entertainment and design to advocate and fundraise for girls’ education worldwide, Girls Who Rock benefits She’s the First during Internet Week New York. The concert will feature performances by American Idol Season 10 finalist Haley Reinhart, Sarah Gregory, Jessica Latshaw, Shin-B and The Jane Doze. There will also be a special performance by girls at the Park Slope Rock School.

The best part? 100% of the proceeds will help sponsor girls’ education in India with non-profit She’s the First. Since the event is sponsored by Umojawa, an online community for social change and civic engagement, all contributions will go directly to support Shanti Bhavan, the India partner school of She’s the First. In its third year, Girls Who Rock has raised more than $23,000 to sponsor girls in Tanzania and Uganda.

When: Friday, May 18 at 7:00 p.m.
Where: The Gramercy Theatre in New York
Purchase tickets to Girls Who Rock

Follow @GirlsWhoRockNY and #GWR2012 for more info! 

Lesley Siu graduated from American University in May 2013 with a BA in Film and Media Arts and minors in Marketing and International Business. Originally from Hawaii, she loves photography, fashion, travel, social media and everything Parisian. She has interned at GLAMOUR magazine in New York and Washington Life Magazine in DC, but her proudest accomplishment is founding Her Campus American in 2011 while interning in Melbourne, Australia. You can usually find her reading a magazine, enjoying a hazelnut latte or posting a photo on Instagram... and sometimes, all at the same time. Follow her on Twitter: @lesleysiu and visit her blog.