A Girl’s Guide to Buying Her First Suit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Whether or not it’s happened yet, at some point during your college career, you’ll need to have a professional outfit. Whether it’s for an interview, networking event, or some other event, a suit is a must for looking professional or put together. Unfortunately, buying your first suit can be a little bit overwhelming. There’s so many options out there and it’s hard to know what you want (Skirt suit? Pant suit? What color?). Over spring break, I went to the mall and bought my very first professional outfit, and I picked up some tips along the way.

1. Decide How Much you’re Willing to Spend

Unfortunately, suits can be pretty expensive- but if you know where to look, you can definitely get one for cheaper than you might think. If you’re looking to go on the less expensive side, Target, TJ Maxx, or Marshalls can be great options. I personally got a suit at Target for under $100, and got so many compliments on it. If you’re looking for higher quality suits that are a little more expensive (usually around $200-$300), Ann Taylor, Express, Banana Republic, and J. Crew all have a wide selections. It can help to check these websites for when there’s a sale, and some stores, such as J. Crew and Banana Republic also offer 15% off student discounts.

2. Decide What Color

Generally, suits are either gray, navy, or black. It’s completely up to you what color to get, but just keep in mind that the top and bottom should match exactly. It sounds strange, but it’s definitely possible for a black blazer and black pants not to match if they’re different shades. To be safe, buy both separates at the same store, or hold them up to different lights to make sure they match.

3. Decide What Style

Traditional suits usually refer to either a blazer and pencil skirt, or a blazer and dress pants. Again, it’s completely up to you which style to get. However, keep in mind that with a skirt, depending on how conservative your event is, you’ll likely have to wear tights as well. You’ll probably have to try on several different suits and even different stores to find something you love, so don’t discouraged.

4. Make Sure the Suit Fits

I personally had never worn a suit before and had no idea how it was supposed to fit. Luckily, at most stores, the employees are super helpful and eager to help you pick out what looks good. I also looked on Pinterest for inspiration and to decide what I thought looked good. When in doubt, just make sure that your pants are long enough that they’ll still fit even with heels, and that your blazer isn’t too baggy or tight.

5. Accessories

Once you’ve found the suit of your dreams, you’ll need a shirt to wear with it. Blouses and button-downs are the two types of shirts usually worn with suits. The color doesn’t matter, but if you’re going for a printed top, try to get something subtle, that’s not too busy or distracting. In terms of other accessories, you may want to buy shoes (heels that don’t expose your toes or flats), a professional purse, or jewelry (I’m a big fan of statement necklaces).

Buying your first suit is a big investment and can seem overwhelming, but don’t get discouraged. Owning a professional outfit is just one more “adult” responsibility that comes with being a college student, but if you have an idea about what you want and have some tips, the process isn’t so bad. And hey, if nothing else, it’s an excuse to go shopping!

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3

Samantha Boyd

American '19

.