Fun Places Off-Campus to Study for Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

A feeling of dread encompasses us college students when the word “finals” is merely spoken. Combined with a plethora of projects and papers, finals week leaves everyone in a state of panic and frenzy. Most students can be found flooding AU’s library, quad, and academic buildings to study for endless hours at a time. Why not break the finals slump and study somewhere off-campus? D.C. provides many engaging alternatives that will help you feel more motivated and energized when studying (or cramming) for your final exams.

1) The National Mall

Take advantage of a beautiful spring day! The National Mall is a perfect place to bring your friends for a study session. Whether you prefer lounging near the Washington Monument or sitting on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, the fresh air and cherry blossoms will help keep you awake when studying for your exams. Sit closer to Capital Hill to help you feel motivated to ace your government or justice exams.

2) Georgetown Cupcakes 

If you are looking for a livelier place to study, Georgetown Cupcakes would be a notable place to review lectures and readings. Let the sugar from their delicious treats help you stay alert when studying for your nutrition or fitness final. If Georgetown Cupcakes isn’t your cup of tea, you could always venture nearby to the Baked & Wired or Sprinkles.

3) The Library of Congress

Boasting the title of the world’s largest library, the Library of Congress provides an exceptionally great place to study for exams. By acquiring a free reader’s card, you can take advantage of the Main Room for a quiet (and memorable) studying atmosphere.  It just seems to make sense to study for your political science or international relations exams in the same location the U.S. Congress consults regularly. 

4) Any of the 18 Smithsonian Institutions

When they aren’t packed with 8th grade field trips and tourists from across the world, the various Smithsonians grant a unique location to analyze exam material. You could study for an art history exam at the Hirshhorn Museum and become more knowledgeable before your Astronomy final at the Air and Space Museum. Why not sit in the Natural History Museum’s rotunda when preparing for your biology or chemistry final?

Photo credits: Allie Erenbaum

Public Relations major with minors in Marketing and International Relations. Studying in our lovely Nation's Capital.