Food for Thought: 5 Snacks That Will Help You Make It Through Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Hello Collegiettes,

Oh no, it’s that time of year again! The dreaded week is rapidly approaching and you all know what I’m talking about. FINALS…What does that mean other than you should have started that research paper weeks ago or that cumulative final you should have been prepping for most of the semester now has to be crammed into that brain of yours in the next two weeks. Can you say all-nighters in the lib? But what does your body need most during finals? Energy and a healthy rested brain! Fatty foods like chips and tenders will make you tired and slow down cognitive function. Try making healthy snacks ahead of time and you will have all the energy and brain function you need to make it through finals. And most importantly, do not forget to HYDRATE! When you begin to feel thirsty the body is already dehydrated causing decreased memory, slower cognitive function and a slower capacity for reasoning. These five snacks along with a bottle of water (throw a splash of juice in it for those who are not big H20 fans) should do the trick!

1. Trail mix

Make your own trail mix! Nuts have a good mix of protein and fat so they are the perfect snack to keep you energized by increasing blood flow to the brain, which helps improve memory and cognitive function. Add any type of nuts you like; almonds, cashews, walnuts and mix with dried fruit and a few dark chocolate chips (love those flavinols; they are shown to improve mood. Improve our moods during finals?? Not so sure about that but it is chocolate!)  Divide into ¼ cup portions and grab one before you head to your favorite study nook.

2. Apple slices and almond butter

Slice an apple and place in an airtight container to prevent from the apple turning brown and pack one to two tablespoons of almond butter for added calcium, iron and polyunsaturated fats, aka good fat. Nuts also contain vitamin E and B6, increasing blood flow to the brain that aides memory and better cognitive function.

3. A bottle of kombucha and a side of veggies and whole grain pretzels

Kombucha is the new trend in healthy drinking. Not only does it help fight off sickness by boosting your immune system, it also gives you a natural boost of energy! Kombucha is an acquired taste but it comes in fun flavors like guava, cranberry and grape! Drink a bottle of kombucha, grab some cut veggies like carrots, celery and peppers and add a handful of whole grain pretzels. Whole grains contain vitamin B6 that improves brain function by boosting blood flow to the brain.

4. Yogurt and berries

Foods rich in calcium such as yogurt contain Tyrosine, an amino acid that helps with attention and memory while a handful of berries have been shown to boost brain power and memory as well.

5. Kale salad with veggies and tuna

For all of those kale lovers out there, good news! Kale contains among other nutrients, calcium, folate, vitamin B6, vitamin K, omega-3 fatty acids, iron, protein, and calcium. Don’t forget, the darker the veggie, the more beneficial for the body and brain! Tuna is an omega-3 fatty acid fish that helps improve cognitive function yet it also contains B vitamins which help increase energy. There has been quite a bit of chatter that tuna contains mercury. The FDA says that the low levels of mercury are not dangerous at all to the majority of the population yet pregnant women and small children should only have approximately one serving per week. The light tuna packed in water (less fat) is the easiest way to get a healthy omega-3 fatty acid brain snack.

Feed that noggin’ of yours healthy brain food to get those A’s we are all so diligently studying for. 

Good luck on exams collegiettes, summer is right around the corner!

Photo Credits:

http://blog.nourishyourself.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/albacore-tuna…

http://media1.s-nbcnews.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/g-hlth-100415-…

http://www.girl-jitsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Apple-and-Peanut-Bu…

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jBMSjIOv4d0/T1ZlidKTikI/AAAAAAAABAE/no4k04lh18…