Food Review: Astro Doughnuts & Fried Chicken

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Imagine this: gourmet melt-in-your-mouth doughnuts and juicy, perfectly crispy fried chicken. Let that thought linger for a moment, and if you aren’t drooling yet—check your pulse. DC has a new sweet and savory goldmine that is literally out of this world.

Astro Doughnuts and Fried Chicken recently had its grand opening, and you know Her Campus American was first in line.

Astro is located a block down from the red line stop at Metro Center, but if you go anytime soon, you’ll likely be able to find it by the line down the block. Three days in a row, Astro completely sold out of doughnuts from the morning rush in under two hours.

Why all the hype? Simple: the food is well worth the wait. Boasting a menu of two fan favorites, Astro’s unique combination of doughnuts and fried chicken is as succulent as it sounds. As if unique everyday options like vanilla glazed, Brooklyn blackout, twink-nut, maple bacon, crème brûlée and pb&j aren’t enough, every day of the week an additional five flavors are available, such as Wednesday’s pina colada and Friday’s s’mores.

I tried the maple bacon doughnut with two pieces of fried buttermilk white meat chicken. I was literally in foodie heaven while indulging in this health-nut’s nightmare of a meal. Thick, chewy and salty bacon sat atop a thin, sweet maple glaze held up by a perfectly fluffy doughnut. The buttermilk-fried chicken was browned to a crisp and had a kick of spices that countered well with the sweet doughnut. The chicken came with a free side of Asian slaw, which served as a refreshing break from both fried delicacies. It has a light dressing of vinegar as opposed to the traditional mayonnaise, crunchy carrots, cabbage and plenty of cilantro.

I was thoroughly impressed with everything I tried from Astro Doughnuts and Fried Chicken and will definitely be back. The store itself is very minimalist with white tiles contrasting their black logo on the wall and a rustic wooden counter, but does not provide seating, so be prepared to grab and go! I promise, it is worth it.

Dare I say doughnuts are the new cupcakes of DC? See for yourself!

Hours: Monday-Friday 8am-Sold Out

Price Range: $2.25-2.85 for a doughnut and upwards of $5 for fried chicken

Location: 1308 G Street, NW Washington DC 20005

Can’t get enough? Check out Astro Doughnuts on Facebook and Astro Doughnuts on Twitter for the latest updates.