Food Allergies: On and Off Campus Dining Advice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Today, more than ever, more and more people are diagnosed with food allergies, whether they be allergies to gluten, dairy, nuts, or possibly all three and more. In college and the city, it can be difficult to maneuver through the plethora of food options surrounding us and determine which meals will not trigger allergic reactions. College should be fun and productive, but battling food confusion can only add stress (and unhealthy weight loss) to the mix. I have lived with gluten, dairy, nut, and egg allergy all of my life, and while not a professional nutritionist, I can offer a few tips to others in my situation when looking for meals:

1. “Staple” up. By “staples,” I mean foods that you know you can eat and that you enjoy eating. For example, the Terrace Dining Hall here at AU always offers plain rice, hamburgers, baked chicken, and a salad bar. When in doubt of whether or not there are other options around, you can always count on these staples to create a rounded meal. However, staple foods are also reliable to mix and match. Notice roast beef being served, but you can’t eat the mashed potatoes that are served with it? Get the roast beef, but put some rice with it and have a salad. Roasted potatoes today, but you found out that dairy butter was used on the pork? Grab a piece of your “staple” baked chicken instead.

In my experience, the “staple” principle has also worked well at off-campus eateries such as Chipotle, which offers a buffet filled with options (that aren’t touching) to guarantee that you only receive what you want, and what you can eat. Another good “staple” idea is the classic grilled chicken salad. Served at almost every restaurant, a chicken salad is a great option when you don’t feel like taking the time to explain to the waiter how your meal should be prepared. In this case, all you may have to do is ask for the salad without croutons (because most croutons are made with wheat). In finding go-to options on and off campus, you can be confident that in most situations, you will always have something balanced to eat.

2. Speak up. As I mentioned earlier, food allergies are extremely common today, so common that many colleges, including AU, have begun to label their meals so that students can be fully informed of what they are eating. Here at AU, there is also a “Worry Free Zone,” which provides even more options to students with various food allergies. Speak with your campus dietician, if possible, to go over how to properly read any labels provided in the cafeteria, or to receive advice on how to eat consistent, healthy, and balanced meals.

In addition, always speak up if you are unsure of the ingredients in a meal, a point that I cannot stress enough. From my own experience, nothing can ruin a fun dinner out, or a conversation with friends in TDR more than suddenly feeling an oncoming reaction. You are responsible for your health, and if you know that your reactions are uncomfortable and potentially dangerous, do not risk eating something that may not work with your system. Read ingredients, if available, and check with waiters, managers, and chefs, if necessary, to obtain as much information as possible about what you will be eating. If there is nothing for you to eat, do not test something that “might be okay,” and risk a reaction, which leads to my next point…

3. Stock up. If you have a fridge in your dorm room (and even if you do not) keep snacks and some “staples” in your room so that when in a hurry, you can always grab something to eat. For example, if you are heading to an off campus event, and know for a fact that food of some form will be served, keep bread and deli meat in your room so that you can make a quick sandwich, or keep some chips to serve as a snack. When you buy and stock snacks yourself, you can comfortably and confidently eat whatever you choose. Finding foods suited for those with allergies is not as difficult as it may seem, as many grocery stores devote a section of their store to products free of the most common food allergens.

For students with allergies, there will always be situations when finding food is difficult. However, through finding staples, utilizing on-campus resources, and keeping the right attitude, it will be easy, and even fun, to find reliable (and hopefully, tasty) options on and off campus.

Photo credit: 1