Five Ways to De-Stress While Studying for Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

With the end of the semester fast approaching, everyone is getting excited for summer, warm days, relaxation, and most importantly, returning home for three months. But before we can bask in the freedom of summer, we have one last hurdle to jump over: finals

With multiple finals, papers, and projects for different classes, the feelings of stress, anxiety, anger, frusturation, and pure annoyance are all completely normal. But there are many different ways to help relieve those feelings, and they are ones that you can use for not just the weeks leading up to finals, but the week of finals, as well.

1. Manage your time by using a planner

Finals can seem like a lot, especially if you have multiple papers and projects due for one class, and ones for other classes due on the following days. Using a planner or calendar can really help with figuring out what you have due when, so that you can plan out when you want to complete each task so you don’t feel as though you are cramming everything into one day.

2. Study with friends

Studying is a huge drag, so why not make it fun! Get a group of your friends or classmates from one of your classes and find a time where you can all meet up and study together. You can quiz each other, help each other if someone is stuck on something, and share a good laugh while you’re at it. It will feel more like a “study party” as opposed to a “study group”.

3. Take a walk

With winter finally over and spring in full bloom, it is a perfect opportunity to take a break from the books and take a nice walk. Whether it’s in downtown DC or just around the quad on campus, getting that breath of fresh air can help calm your nerves about any test or paper you may have comign up. Ask a friend to come with you, or put in earbuds and listen to music and enjoy nature’s beauty.

4. Take advantage of extra office hours

Now that the semester is coming to a close, many people get worried because they know that their professors’ office hours are going to be ending. That is not always the case! Many professors add extra office hours toward the end of the semester to allow students to come in to have papers looked over, and to get advice about the upcoming final exam. Taking advantage of these extra office hours can really help relieve stress, especially if you cannot normally make regular office hours. Professors know what a stressful time this is for everyone, so listen up for announcements about extra office hours. 

5. Remember, the end is near! 

Although finals season may seem like a long time, it is actuially a lot shorter than most people think, and it just means we are one step closer to the end. Keep yourself motivated by thinking that as soon as these finals are over, the time is all yours. Then you can go home, relax, see your family, hug your pets, and do whatever you want until you return to campus in the fall.

Happy finals season!

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6