Black Girl Beauty Landing Hero Image
Black Girl Beauty Landing Hero Image
Adebusola Abujade / Her Campus Media
Life > Experiences

Femme Fatale DC: An Ecosystem of Feminist Art

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Cleveland Park is home to various shops and restaurants that are easily accessible for American University Students, but one of the most incredible businesses off this Metro stop is Femme Fatale DC. Femme Fatale is an ecosystem of activists and artists creating and selling their work. 

Femme Fatale started as a movement of people, “carving out room for their ideas, their bodies, and one-another” and evolved into a business in which these creators could financially and personally grow through their shared relationships and appreciation for art. 

Mental Health Hub Hero
Rebecca Hoskins / Her Campus Media

The storefront is a pop-up, featuring various artists from the DMV area. They sell a plethora of products such as clothes, books, candles, stickers, art prints, jewelry and other independently created items. Some of their products are handcrafted and new, such as various pottery. Some are pre-loved, upcycled products such as candles created out of old cups and glasses, and clothes painted and resewn into new styles. 

They also provide the space for small businesses to host many types of events from DIY Candle-Making with Relume Co from Tarot Readings with SUNSOAKED Crystals + Energy Practices. These events are meant to provide a space where people can congregate and enjoy their interests but also where independent businesses can promote their brand and possibly earn more clientele. 

The organization hosts a blog as well, where they highlight issues, people and resources that are relevant to their work and their activism. The organization also hosts vendors at occasional open markets that are announced through their blog and social media

Businesses such as Femme Fatale DC are especially important right now, with the holiday season coming up. Worldwide shipping delays are causing panic, given how many people typically rely on brands such as Amazon to ship in their holiday gifts. However, small and local businesses don’t have to ship their products through customs and borders and can benefit local artists and business-owners who may need the support more. 
The Femme Fatale pop-up will be open Wednesday through Sunday from 11:00am to 6:00pm until December 24. They also have an online store open year-round as well as the previously mentioned open markets which occur year-round!

Hannah is a senior at American University. She's studying political science with a focus on race and gender in politics. She loves writing and baking, and can typically be found with a large iced coffee and a pair of knitting needles.