This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Last month a study by Dr. Stacy L. Smith was published through the USC Annenberg Inclusion Initiative. The study called, inclusion in the recording studio, examined 800 popular songs and the gender of the artists’ who released those songs. The study showed that across 800 songs, women made up 21.7% of all artists. It also revealed that when it comes to performers, out of 172 artists who were credited in 2019 on the Hot 100 year-end billboard chart, only 22.1% were female. These percentages reveal the struggles that female musicians go through when it comes to having their music heard. Which is why now is the perfect time to share which female artists should be on your radar.

you are what you listen to
Unsplash

Anna Sofia

Anna Sofia is only 16-years-old but has lyrics that are relatable to people of any age. Whether she is singing about not wanting to go to a party, trying to get a boy off her mind or getting annoyed with people telling her to get off her phone, Sofia’s lyrics hit home. With a fresh take on bedroom-pop and strong vocals, it is no wonder she has amassed over two million streams on Spotify. Her debut EP “Self Aware Bitch” is one that will be on repeat after the first listen.

Ari Lennox

If you are an American University student, the chances are you were lucky enough to catch Ari Lennox perform in the Tavern this past weekend, but just in case you missed her honeyed vocals and lyrics that centered around self-love and the beauty of brown skin, I urge you to stream her album “Shea Butter Baby”. As the first woman signed to Dreamville Records, Lennox makes sure to stay ahead of the pack and that is shown through the unique collection of songs on her debut album. 

Beulahbelle

Actress Kaitlyn Dever and her sister Mady make up this musical duo. While the singer-songwriters only have a few songs out it is clear they are a musical act to watch. Their most recent single, “Raleigh,”  has them crooning about a person they used to love, and the music video that accompanies the song transports viewers to a dreamscape, fit with glittery makeup and synchronized dance moves. If you’re looking for a new song to add to your playlist, this is it. 

Gracie Abrams

For the past couple of years, Gracie Abrams has accumulated a following through posting covers and clips of original songs on Instagram. Now, she is focusing on releasing her original music into the world and it is a treat to experience it. As a singer-songwriter, she takes experiences from her day-to-day life and puts them beautifully into song. Her most recent single, “21,” finds Abrams reminiscing on a past love and the feelings surrounding that. You can listen to the singles Abrams has already released on Spotify and keep an eye out for a future EP or album. 

Squirrel Flower

With vocals reminiscent of Mitski, it is not surprising that Ella O’Connor, aka Squirrel Flower, is getting more and more recognition. Her newest album, “I Was Born Swimming,” focuses on the thoughts and feelings one experiences during their time on the open road. She poetically writes about driving on I-80 and coming home to someone you love after spending long hours apart. The album is a bit of a departure from her earlier work but it shows that she is becoming continually more inventive with her music, a skill that can only come in handy as she progresses in her career. For my folks in the DMV, Squirrel Flower will be performing at Songbyrd on March 13th.

While there are more than five female artists that you should have on your radar, listening to these musicians will start you off on the right foot. With International Women’s Day approaching in early March, appreciating women in music is just one way to get the celebration started early. 

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Photos: Her Campus Media Library

Carol Wright is a senior at American University studying Journalism and Business and Entertainment. When she's not writing for Her Campus she is working on her online magazine Nyota.