Fall Recipe: Spiced Pumpkin Donut Muffins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

With Fall in full swing, it’s time to whip up some autumn-inspired baked goods to celebrate the season.  This recipe combines two of Fall’s famous flavors: cinnamon and pumpkin.  If you’re looking for the perfect treat to pair along with your pumpkin spice latte, try it out yourself!

Ingredients:

Donuts:

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

1/3 cup vegetable oil

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

3/4 cup canned plain pumpkin

1/2 cup milk

Coating:

1 stick of butter, melted

2/3 cup granulated sugar

2 tablespoons cinnamon

Directions:

Preheat oven 350°F. Grease muffin tins with butter.

In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and spices.  Sift the dry ingredients together, then place that bowl aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, pumpkin and milk until combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix together.

Spoon batter into muffin cups and bake at 350°F for approximately 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Melt the butter and keep in a small bowl. Combine the cinnamon and sugar in another bowl. Take the muffins out of the oven, and let them cool for a few minutes. Dip each muffin in the butter and then roll in the cinnamon sugar to coat.

Yield: approximately 30 donuts

Born and raised in Princeton, New Jersey, Claire Shriver is a Public Communication major and Marketing minor at American University in Washington, DC. She is the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus American, Vice President of Communication for AU Social Media Club and an AU Ambassador. This past summer she interned in the Features Department at Marie Claire magazine and has a passion for travel, magazines, and film photography. Kristen Wiig makes Claire cry with laughter and Adele makes her swoon.