Fall Fashion Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

It’s a new semester, and in case you haven’t notice, American University is not a sweatpants type of campus. This doesn’t mean that you need to spend an hour getting ready for class because this season’s hottest trends can be easily integrated your wardrobe. Fall is my premier season because it gives me the opportunity to show off my most stylish side. Right now, my favorite trends are printed jeans, leather, and jewel tones.

Jeans, $49.99 at UsTrendy

Printed jeans are a chic and easy way to update your wardrobe without draining your bank account. If you’re someone who is easily intimidated, there are mellow prints like snakeskin and other textures that are easy to combine with any plain t-shirt or sweater. Personally, I am a partial to floral prints. I love smaller flowers and bigger flowers equally. BDG jeans from Urban Outfitters are great because they have a wide variety of prints and textures that anyone can pull off.

Leather
isn’t limited to jackets and accessories anymore. It is everywhere, and I’m obsessed! From pencil and A-line skits to pants and peplum, leather is the new “it” material to have in your wardrobe. Most stores are selling leather-like materials, so don’t think that you have to max out your credit cards.

Coming from someone who normally sticks to black and charcoal, I have expanded my wardrobe to include jewel tones this fall. I adore colored jeans and sweaters in ruby, emerald, and sapphire. These colors are the fall alternative to neon and pastels. Luckily, these colors can be seen in the former two trends that I mentioned.

Whether you want to keep it simple with emerald jeans and a black top or make a statement with an oxblood leather dress, anything is possible this season. Be noticed on and off campus with these easy, fall trends.

Leather skirt: $198.00 at Banana Republic

Lesley Siu graduated from American University in May 2013 with a BA in Film and Media Arts and minors in Marketing and International Business. Originally from Hawaii, she loves photography, fashion, travel, social media and everything Parisian. She has interned at GLAMOUR magazine in New York and Washington Life Magazine in DC, but her proudest accomplishment is founding Her Campus American in 2011 while interning in Melbourne, Australia. You can usually find her reading a magazine, enjoying a hazelnut latte or posting a photo on Instagram... and sometimes, all at the same time. Follow her on Twitter: @lesleysiu and visit her blog.