Ethical Clothing Consumption in the Modern World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

As society has become more intertwined, being an ethical consumer has become more complex. With different sectors of the world becoming interconnected, it is harder to separate the goods one buys from unethical practices. This all begs the question, can one participate ethically in a system that benefits from exploitation?

In order to turn a profit, many companies resort to forgoing ethical practices. It is possible for consumers to make the most ethical choices available to them although this can be both time-consuming and straining. While the topic of ethical practices runs rampant throughout all sectors of the economy, it is most prominent in the clothing industry. 

Working for a Profit

Many popular brands keep costs low, which has a positive appeal to consumers; by using child labor in countries without laws to protect children. Companies exploit children in foreign countries and then mark up the prices in order to gain maximum profit. 

Many prominent fast fashion brands use child or forced labor to produce their products, and the problem is not as uncommon as many like to think it is. 

According to the International Labor Organization, roughly 13.4%, of the children’s global population is exploited via child labor. Sweatshops that participate in this form of labor are commonly used in many fast fashion brands, such as Uniqlo and Urban Outfitters, which continue to grow in popularity.

The Presence of Harmful Chemicals

Additionally,  harmful chemicals are often used in the reproduction of clothing that is manufactured at cheap prices. These chemicals are not just harmful to the environment, but they can also be cancerous for workers who are handling and ingesting them on a daily basis. According to Compare Ethics, more than 8,000 synthetic chemicals are used in clothing production, and can have negative side effects such as disrupting hormones, and creating cancer causing cells.  Workers throughout the supply chain interact with these chemicals on a daily basis, exposing themselves to a plethora of chemicals that have many adverse health effects. While fast fashion companies may offer more affordable prices, there are known harmful chemicals being used with the sole intent to save money. 

Practical Steps Towards More Ethical Consumption

While most are still navigating the idea of ethical clothing consumption, there are some solutions. 

A good first step towards ethical consumption is reducing the consumption itself. Instead of buying multiple cheap shirts, look for an environmentally friendly and ethical brand. Oftentimes, these more expensive shirts will last longer in addition to being more environmentally friendly. 

Websites such as Ethical Consumers and the Good Shopping Guide are helpful tools for consumers to track the brands they buy. This reduces how much is consumed, while also finding the best option available in the market. 

It is understandable that in some cases, first-hand ethical consumption may not be affordable for everyone. With fast fashion offering low prices, these companies make clothing much more accessible.

Knowing that this is the case, try to buy  from second hand stores such as Goodwill, as they tend to have lower prices than the original market value. Thrift stores are a great option because the clothing is being recycled and loved by another person instead of being thrown away. Thrifting reduces clothing waste in landfills, while also allowing the consumer to not support unethical companies directly.

Key Contributors

Individual consumers are not at fault for these issues, as they are just one in a sea of thousands who have needs that must be met. 

The National Resource Defense Council, a non for profit environmentalist group, reports that “100 energy companies have been responsible for 71% of all industrial emissions since human-driven climate change was officially recognized.” 

It is undeniable that large blame for world problems, such as climate change and economical exploitation, should fall on corporations who actively participate in these actions.  This is not to say that individual actions can not make small but effective changes.  If we must participate in this system, doing so ethically reduces the extent to which we participate and in large may cause corporations to shift their practices to align with consumers. 

Unfortunately, one consumer cannot change the market themself. However, if everyone were to make a conscious effort to shop ethically, a substantial change could occur and create meaningful impacts.

There are no perfect solutions in the world of ethical consumption, but there are ways to practice being mindful and considerate of how and what we consume in order to create a better and more sustainable world.

Evelyn is a sophomore at American University, double majoring in International Studies and Political Science, with a thematic focus in National Security and Foreign Policy and a specialization in Comparative Politics. She has interest in foreign policy advocacy and international relations analysis. Evelyn is currently a contributing writer for HCAU and is living in DC.