This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

If you’re anything like me, the transition from Halloween to Christmas is pretty seamless. After all, one of the best parts of the fall is the ability to go from one festivity to the next and although Halloween is over much to our chagrin, the only logical next step is to fully embrace the Christmas spirit. To do so you will need: 

Cookies

One of the best (and easiest) ways to bring in the Christmas season is to bake a batch of cookies. Whether you’re whipping up a batch of sugar cookies or gingerbread men, the smell of the cookies baking in the oven is a surefire way to brighten your day off right and pairs great with a cup of hot cocoa.

A Christmas Playlist 

While you’re working on those cookies or driving in your car or lets be honest, feeling those quarantine blues, a christmas playlist is a must-have. Check out these playlists on spotify: 

Christmas Hits

Christmas 2000’s (for the nostalgic in all of us)

Everyday is Christmas (Sia’s album title is nothing but factual)

Christmas Classics 

Christmas Bops

Or make your own! But be sure to include these iconic songs:

All I want for Christmas is You 

Let it Snow

Jingle Bell Rock

Last Christmas 

Rockin’ around the Christmas tree

Santa Baby

Movies

There is no Christmas without Christmas movies. While that might be a touch dramatic, Christmas movies are a holiday season staple. Looking for suggestions? Try The Polar Express, Elf or Home Alone 2. If you’re disappointed that spooky season is no more, check out The Nightmare Before Christmas to help bring in some Christmas cheer.

Books

As someone who loves curling up with a book and cup of hot chocolate on a cold day, I would be doing you a disservice if I didn’t offer some book suggestions. Some of the season’s best include Let It Snow (highly recommended if you need a John Green fix), The Snow Queen (the story that inspired Frozen), A Christmas Carol (a true classic) and Hercule Poirot’s Christmas (Christmas mixed with a detective story – what more could anyone possibly need?). 

Candles

If you’re a candle junky, you know that sometimes a candle can brighten up your day (pardon the pun) and make your Christmas season even more festive. Here is a list of Christmas candles for you to peruse if you’re in the mood for a scented evening. 

Christmas Trees (College-Student Edition)

Though this one is a little hard for college students to check off their Christmas bucket-lists, decorating even a small plant or cactus can be a great way to decorate your room.

And remember, don’t let the nay-sayers tell you that it’s too early to start gearing up for Christmas when Thanksgiving is still around the corner. If Starbucks rolls out its holiday menu in November, why can’t you? Happy holiday season! 

Photos: Her Campus Media

Riddhi Setty

American '22

President of Her Campus American. Undergraduate student at American University studying Journalism and Business and Entertainment. Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers.