Elias Yousif ’12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Name: Elias DJ Yousif

Hometown: Milwaukee, WI

Birthday: November 15

Year: Senior (December ’12)

Major(s): Foreign Policy With a Concentration in the Middle East and North Africa

Relationship status: Single

Ideal girl: For me, the ideal girl is someone who is easy going like me. Someone who would enjoy just sitting and having a good conversation over coffee. Someone who isn’t too sensitive, that can laugh at herself and won’t hesitate to poke fun at me too. The perfect girl is comfortable in her own skin, who is just as comfortable at a quiet dinner with me or watching the game with my buddies. Most importantly, she has to know the importance of family. For me, there is nothing more important in life, and a perfect girl would have to share that passion. 

What’s something you’re looking for in a girl: I’m looking for a girl who is independent and is passionate about something in her life. A girl who is driven to help others and is kind. 

Dream job: My dream job would be working for the Foreign Service. It would be a dream come true working for the American Embassy in Beirut. 

Guilty pleasure: Movies. I am a film junkie. When I was young my dad and I would visit a small one-screen movie theater in my neighborhood that played old movies, like Lawrence of Arabia and North By Northwest. I’ve been hooked ever since. 

Pet peeves: People who aren’t kind to the people they don’t have to be kind to. Someone once told me “people who are nice to you but not nice to their waiter are not nice people.”

Hobbies and interests: I love the outdoors. Ever since I was young my family would take long road trips to places like Montana, Idaho, and the Dakotas to go camping and hiking. I’m also a bit of a news junkie (I know, typical SIS student). On an average day you could probably find me enjoying a coffee and a newspaper at the Dav.
Lesley Siu graduated from American University in May 2013 with a BA in Film and Media Arts and minors in Marketing and International Business. Originally from Hawaii, she loves photography, fashion, travel, social media and everything Parisian. She has interned at GLAMOUR magazine in New York and Washington Life Magazine in DC, but her proudest accomplishment is founding Her Campus American in 2011 while interning in Melbourne, Australia. You can usually find her reading a magazine, enjoying a hazelnut latte or posting a photo on Instagram... and sometimes, all at the same time. Follow her on Twitter: @lesleysiu and visit her blog.