neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

Eight Skin Care Tips to Begin Immediately

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

As someone who has struggled with acne for most my life, finding a good skin care routine has been a constant battle. From washes and sprays to creams and face masks, I have used it all. But rest assured, there are ways to maintain healthy skin.

Here are the best tips and tricks to take care of your skin:

1. Stop touching your face!

Your fingers are covered in bacteria from all the things you touch, so try to keep your hands away from your face. Along with that, touching and popping pimples will only make them worse. Popping can lead to more inflamation and you might even scar.

2. SPF = Life

Sunscreen is one of the most important, if not the most important, steps in any skin care routine. SPF protects against sun damage that can cause cancer and can help prevent early signs of aging. No one wants wrinkles, so slap some sunscreen on!

3. More product does not mean better skin.

While it can be tempting to pack every skin care product under the sun onto your face in the name of beauty, it might do you more harm than good. Putting too many products on your face can clog up pores and cause breakouts. There are also some ingredients that do not mix well together such as exfoliating and retinol ingredients as they can dry out your face.

4. Good products do not need to break the bank.

In the skin care world, expensive does not necessarily mean better. There are plenty of drug store brands that can do wonders for your skin. If you’re looking for some suggestions, click here :)

5. Hydrate or diedrate.

Hydration is everything! The more hydrated you are, the more radiant your skin will be! There are even products that have hydrating serums that will help, too. Water can even prevent sagginess in the skin– so make sure you’re drinking enough water everyday!

6. Clean your makeup brushes!

Just like you, I too am guilty of using a beauty blender that has blended my foundation one too many times. But to maintain clean skin, washing makeup brushes this is a must! Dirty brushes and sponges can clog pores and cause breakouts.

7. Change your pillowcase!

Make sure when you sleep at night your head is resting on a clean surface. This step often goes overlooked in the battle for clear skin, but dirt, oil and sweat builds up on your pillow and can damage your skin. Another pro tip, silk pillow cases have been proven to help your skin.

8. Keep a simple routine you can stick to.

Fad products may come and go but once you find a moisturizer and cleanser that works for you and your skin type, stick with it! Having a simple routine makes it easy to keep up, even with a busy schedule. Taking care of your skin will become like second nature so don’t make it too complicated.

Photos:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Kathryne is an undergraduate at American University currently studying Journalism with two minors in Spanish and Literature. In her free time she loves to read fantasy novels, dance, and eat ice cream.
A senior and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at American who enjoys reading banned books and drinking overpriced coffee.