Editor’s Blog: What We’re Loving This Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

This month the editors of Her Campus American University want to give you a study break and a chance to catch up on what we’re loving right now. Though final papers and exams are upon us, you can be sure we still have time to browse Instagram, Pinterest and our favorite magazines to find something to obsess over. There’s always time for that! Good luck with finals, and enjoy!

Editor-in-Chief Claire Shriver

1. She & Him, The Classics

The newest release from one of my favorite duets, The Classic is She & Him’s cover album of pop classics is perfect for December. The blend of Deschanel and Ward makes for perfect winter and cosy music. The album’s aim was to cover classic songs and they did an amazing job selecting the best. And for more cuteness, check out their video Stay Awhile.

2. Pitckfork The 20 Best Videos of 2014

Need more music? I know I always do. This list surprised me with several new artists and songs I haven’t heard before, and some I knew. The popularity of music videos may be decreasing but the conversation sure isnt. When it comes to learning new music that isn’t a Taylor Swift song Pitckfork is the best place to go. Flying Lotus – Never Catch Me ft. Kendrick Lamar is a highlight for me. 

3. Steve Alan

A girl can dream up her perfect closet, right? In that case mine would be filled with coats, pants, shirts, jackets and basically anything you could find inside of Steve Alan. Location in Georgetown, and other places across the country, this store is an even better version of Madewell. Hard to believe, right? It’s a worth a look if you’re in the market. 

Managing Editor Ali Follman

1. AMC’s “Mad Men”

I’m pretty behind on the whole “Mad Men” craze (the first episode aired in 2007). But thanks to Netflix, season by season I am catching up and loving everything about this show. The outfits, the excessive smoking and drinking, and of course the advertising aspect of the show are what keep me coming back. Though I can only squeeze in about two episodes per week, I’ll get it finished some day.

2. This Ellen video

This is Ellen’s take on a sexist Bic pen that is marketed to women and called “For Her”. It is the most brilliant way of tackling sexism that I’ve seen in a while. I would have never detected that this product was sexist and it opens up many other problems with society and the way products are advertised. Ellen puts her own spin on a fake advertisement for the pen and touches on many of the downfalls of making idiotic products like this, when clearly men and women can use the same pens. But you can be the judge.

Section Editor Mikala Rempe

1. Tazo Organic Sultry Strawberry Tea

This tea is the perfect way to remind you of summer in the coldest days of December. It is flavored with South Indian Black Tea and licorice root. I love this because it’s a sweet tea that isn’t packed with sugar, so it won’t leave you crashing later. It has a high caffeine level making it perfect for finals time. This sweet treat won’t break the bank either, so it’s for every student looking for a pick-me-up or a secret Santa gift for a friend!

2. Moonrise Kingdom

Yes, I’m a little behind on cinema trends since this movie came out in 2012. I watched it on a plane while traveling for Thanksgiving and can’t remember that last time I watched a movie that I loved so much. It’s a total feel-good film, from famed director Wes Anderson. This film is everything that I want in a love story: nothing too cheesy, just an endearing and earnest story about puppy love in the 1960s. It features newcomers to Hollywood, Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward, as well as seasoned veterans Bruce Willis and Bill Murray. 

Section Editor Gabby Salazar

1. To Kill a King

I recently discovered To Kill a King when I was browsing through tumblr’s music tag and I’m a little upset I didn’t listen to them earlier. To Kill a King is an indie-rock band based in London that was founded at Leeds University; they’re good friends with the guys of Bastille and have supported them on tour. They have beautiful piano and acoustic guitar accompaniments and lyrics that are so breathtakingly beautiful you won’t be able to comprehend them. Their latest EP, Exit, Pursued By A Bear, just came out this month. Give it a listen and grab it here—you won’t regret it.

2. Parks and Recreation

I’ve noticed that for these past two blogs, I’ve written about music and TV shows—I think I have an obsession. Anyway, the popular NBC show, Parks and Recreation, filled the empty mockumentary hole in my heart The Office left. The final season is set to air in January next year so I’ve been binge-watching it this past weekend to prepare myself for the end. With notable characters like the pioneer feminist Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler) and anti-government government employee Ron Swanson (Nick Offerman) make this show comedy gold. Catch up with it on Netflix over winter break!

Photo Credits: 1, 21, 2, 3, 4

Born and raised in Princeton, New Jersey, Claire Shriver is a Public Communication major and Marketing minor at American University in Washington, DC. She is the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus American, Vice President of Communication for AU Social Media Club and an AU Ambassador. This past summer she interned in the Features Department at Marie Claire magazine and has a passion for travel, magazines, and film photography. Kristen Wiig makes Claire cry with laughter and Adele makes her swoon.