Editor's Blog: What We're Loving This Month

It’s officially spring here in D.C., which means that at AU, our days are spent hanging out out the quad, studying for finals, and thinking about summer break plans. With only three weeks left in the semester, here are some of the things that we've been loving lately, and that are getting us through this busy time of year.

Sammy Boyd, Managing Editor

1. Ed Sheeran's "Divide" album

Although this album came out a month ago, I haven’t had time until recently to listen to every track. As a huge Ed Sheeran fan (aka a “sheerio”), I had high expectations for this album, and they were met and exceeded! I’m planning to study abroad in Spain this fall, so “Barcelona” always gets me excited for my trip every time I listen to it. I also like how Ed incorporates lyrics and music from his Irish upbringing into songs such as “Castle on the Hill”, “Galway Girl”, and “Nancy Mulligan”. Dates for his upcoming tour were recently announced, and I’m in the works of trying to figure out a way to see him- for the third time!

2. "This is Us" 

Like “Divide”, “This is Us” came out a few months ago but I was a latecomer to the show. I started it the day I got back from spring break, and ended up finishing the entire first season in less than a week. Although it’s not your typical drama (no surgeons, important political figures, or murderers), there’s something so intriguing about following the story of Jack and Rebecca and their three children. The show incorporates a lot of flashbacks into the 70s and 80s, and it’s fun to see how the show really brings these decades to life through the fashion. Unfortunately I now have to wait until the end of the year for a new season, but I definitely recommend this show if you need something to binge watch this summer!

Tori Dickson, Section Editor

1. Maybelline New York Baby Lips Balm, My Pink

Now that it’s getting warmer, I’m starting to ease off on the makeup and go for a more natural look. Instead of a bold lip stick, I’ve been using Baby Lips for everyday looks. The color My Pink changes with your PH level, making it different colors to match your skin tone. This has really been a life-saver for me because I have pale skin and it’s hard for me to find colors that work. Also, my lips are super soft!

2. Signature Houseware Bowl

I haven’t stopped using my Signature Houseware bowl since I bought it last week from Marshall’s. They are microwaveable safe, can be sealed like a container, and have a handle like a giant mug for easy transportation. The medium sized bowls can hold the entirety of a large soup can and are the perfect amount for leftovers or meals-to-go. They also come in really fun designs.

Fiona Caulfield, Section Editor

1. "Operator" by Låpsley

Even though it came out in 2016, this song has a retro feel about it. The first time I heard it, I thought it must be by Tina Turner or Carole King because of the slightly upbeat, disco-reminiscent instrumentals. The subject matter feels vintage too: one line in the chorous says "He doesn't call me so put me through, Operator". But the electronic music gives it away as a contemporary song. It's a great soundtrack to a morning walk to campus or a chill afternoon.

2. French Braids

They conquer the baddest of bad hair days. They're more comfortable than a bun or ponytail - i.e. they don't leave you thinking "how is it possible that my hair hurts?" And they look good. No matter whether you're dancing around, head banging to an air guitar solo, or furiously nodding "yes" to every fun suggestion, they don't budge. The wide variety of styles - reverse french braids, straight down the back, just in the front, down the sides like a goddess's crown, into a bun - makes it a versatile style for any occasion.

Shannon Exley, Editor-in-Chief

1. "13 Reasons Why"

This Netflix show, based on the book by Jay Asher, was just released at the end of March. The show keeps fans on their toes as they learn about the life of high-school student Hannah Baker- that is, before she committed suicide. Each episode strikes viewers deep in the heart as they they follow and feel for Hannah's friend, Clay Jensen, as he listens to the 13 audio tapes Hannah recorded that seem to be her alternative to a suicide note. Clay listens to one side of a tape per episode; as you can guess, the show is filled with cliff-hangers that got me hooked in just a few days. This show is a reminder that teenage depression and bullying are real problems that need to be addressed. 

2. "Sign of the Times" by Harry Styles

I've been a One Direction fan since the boys released their first album. I've been partial to Harry from the very beginning, and I'm ecstatic that Harry has finally released his first solo single since the group broke up, titled "Sign of the Times". And to top it all off, this song is an emotional ballad that will leave directioners tearing up after hearing the first chorus. Harry, you were missed. Harry's boy band popular style seems gone for good after hearing this song, and if that means he's making more music like this song, I'm all for it. He will perform the song on Saturday Night Live on April 15th. Fans are now pining even more to see his new movie Dunkirk, which will premiere in July. 

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

All other photos belong to the authors