Editor’s Blog: What We’re Loving This Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Claire Shriver, Editor-in-Chief

1. Bezar, The Marketplace for Design

Better than a real life pop-up shop, Bezar launched last week as an online shopping site. Separated into 4 sections (art, house, jewelry, accessories), shops last for typically 3 days and put a great emphasis on the artists. Launched by Bradford Shellhammer, co-founder of Fab.com, Bezars features some of the most affordable and best art for young shoppers who don’t want to break the bank, but want to fill an apartment with nice pieces. Some of my favorite items for sale include the Nooka 360 watchIn-Between ring, and Peak Orange print

2. Priime For iPhone

I probably have way too many apps on my iPhone, but this one is worth the download. Called by The Next Web a “unique spin on the humble photo editing app,” Priime suggests filters based on the content of your image. The app is free with an option to buy additional filter options. Lazy girl’s guide to filtering?

Ali Follman, Managing Editor

1. Broad City

Two girls living in NYC in shabby apartments struggling to find and keep jobs while being social party animals? What’s so great about this plot? Everything. This show is on Comedy Central and just ended its second season. After much persuasion by my sister, I started watching the show on her Hulu account (thank you, Nina!) and couldn’t stop. If you like HBO Girls and love quirky and ballsy female characters, this show is for you. I relate it to Spongebob and how growing up we loved it so much. Like Spongebob, Broad City is at times ridiculous, inappropriate, and only about 20 minutes per episode, so you can keep watching episodes for an hour or two before you realize you blew through half a season. There is no such thing as boundaires in this show and you will have friendship envy for Abbi and Ilana’s closeness. YAS Queen!

2. Open Toe Booties

I was waiting for spring to splurge on open toe booties to see if they were still popular this year. They came onto the scene last spring and I was hesitant, but after a year of seeing them on people’s feet, I decided I had to have them. They will be perfect for going out, wearing to class and work.

Mikala Rempe, Section Editor

1. The Zombies

This is a serious music throwback for March. I rediscovered how great The Zombies are when they were featured in a great Adam/Mimi Rose scene in a recent episode of Girls. They are an English rock band from the 1960s. You might remember some of their classic songs like “She’s not There” or “Can’t Nobody Love you.”  There sound is the perfect mix of nostalgic psychedelic pop for spring time. 

2. Aziz Ansari Live at Madison Square Garden on Netflix

I am still figuring out what to do with myself now that Parks and Recreation is over. Luckily, Aziz Ansari’s new comedy special on Netflix filled the void. Aziz is at his best here. This is his funniest stand-up so far, and he also tackles important social issues like immigration and gender inequality. But it will only fill your Parks and Rec loss for 58 minutes.

Vivian Chen, Section Editor

1. Empire

If you’re looking for a new TV show to watch (and really into hip-hop music), I highly recommend watching Empire. The show revolves around a huge music entertainment company, and follows all the drama that occurs when the founder of the company has to pick one of his three sons to take over the company, which is partially complicated when the mother is released from prison after seventeen years. Needless to say, this show is filled with amazing talent and multiple songs have already been produced into top hits. The first season’s finale was on Wednesday, March 18.

2. Maybelline Age Rewind

During midterms, this concealer saved my life. This drugstore concealer has amazing coverage, and has the perfect consistency. It hides everything – perfect for covering up dark circles, and removing any trace of your lack of sleep. Plus, it’s super affordable!

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Born and raised in Princeton, New Jersey, Claire Shriver is a Public Communication major and Marketing minor at American University in Washington, DC. She is the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus American, Vice President of Communication for AU Social Media Club and an AU Ambassador. This past summer she interned in the Features Department at Marie Claire magazine and has a passion for travel, magazines, and film photography. Kristen Wiig makes Claire cry with laughter and Adele makes her swoon.
Vivian is the Managing Editor of the Her Campus American chapter. She is currently a senior at American University, pursuing a degree in Business Administration with a specialization in Finance and a minor in Law & Society. Vivian is originally from Long Island, New York. In her spare time, she enjoys cooking, drinking iced coffee and taking photos of her food. She is extremely excited to be a part of such an amazing organization on campus! 
Mikala Rempe is a sophomore at American University in Washington, D.C., originally from Omaha, Nebraska. She is a literature major with a minor in creative writing. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Mikala is on staff for the AmLit, AU’s premiere literary arts magazine. In her free time she loves to read, and cook. She spends most of her days accidentally spilling coffee on her own poetry. She hopes this isn't a metaphor.