Friends Walking Together 1
Friends Walking Together 1
Breanna Coon / Her Campus
Wellness

Editors’ Blog: The Silver Lining of Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

COVID-19 and quarantine has turned everyone’s lives completely upside down. Many are overly stressed, extremely disappointed and dangerously stir-crazy. But quarantine doesn’t have to be all bad. While physically apart, the HCAU editors came together here to find you the silver lining of the quarantine lifestyle and give you some activities to try from the comfort of your home. 

Read, read, read!

Between the chaos of the semester, the demands of work and general procrastination, reading is often a hobby constantly being put off. Well, with quarantine providing nothing but time, there are no more excuses. As relaxing as binging Netflix is to pass the time, reading is a simple way to ensure our minds don’t turn to mush– not to mention online classes are more than enough screen time for one day. 

But books can also be a way to keep social. Setting up a virtual book club is easy with a willing few friends, some light planning, Zoom and, of course, a good book. Another way to socially read is by starting a long-distance book-swap where you and friends mail different books to each other. That way, everyone gets to read something new and has someone to talk about it with.

Audiobooks are also a great way to fit in reading time while remaining active. Audiobooks allow you to take walks, go for drives, complete workouts, get chores done and so on. Plus, if audiobooks are played on speaker, then everyone in your house can listen in (just like the thrilling days of radio)!

Reading is a great way to kill time and unplug during this quarantine. It’ll keep your mind sharp and allow you to remain in touch with the outside world (both fictional and real). – Peyton Bigora

Person holding Mug
Photo by Maierean Andrei from Pexels

Explore your creative side!

The demands of our daily lives often present a challenge to exploring your creativity and artistic abilities. School, work, family, social requirements and other obligations don’t leave much time for fun. Forced indoor and non-social time allows you to express yourself in ways you don’t normally have time for. Personally, I’ve taken up crocheting again and I’ve made about ten blankets (oops)! 

To start, painting in watercolor, oil and acrylic styles can create beautiful pieces of art you can make as gifts or hang up in your kitchen. Knitting, crocheting, sewing, and embroidering are always good skills to have and are easy to learn (thank you Youtube and WikiHow!). Expand your brain with reading a book you never got to, journal, start a blog, conduct some research; the opportunities for expanding your brilliance are endless. Cooking and baking are also easy ways to fill your free time and allow you to try out new recipes! Here are some more creative outlets for you to pursue during quarantine. – Hannah Andress

Brush Painting Color Paint
Daian Gan / Pexels

Think of all the time you save by not commuting!

For those of us who live off campus, planning your life around the mercurial force that is WMATA can be rough. With online classes, that is no longer a problem. You can roll out of bed and right into your 8:10. Forgot to something? No problem; you can just run and grab from wherever you left it and hop back on before your professor even notices your Zoom window is empty. And think of all the things you can do between classes now that you don’t need those 20 minutes to walk between buildings! You can make and eat a snack, watch almost an entire episode of The Good Place, do a face mask or even take a quick power nap. Really tap into this new source of free time! – Carly Elkins

Anna Schultz-Girl Using Laptop In Cozy Bed
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

Getting some alone time!

College, and life in general, is filled with social obligations in which I often find myself trying to get out of. However, with everyone practicing social distancing and being quarantined, I am no longer forced into these uncomfortable social settings. Although feelings of isolation can be scary, and also completely valid, sometimes being alone is not so bad. Take this time to learn how to enjoy your own company and rebuild a relationship with yourself. We often take our minds and bodies for granted, so during this time of quarantine, take the extra time you have to be alone. This may sound cliche, but the relationship you have with yourself is the most important one, so now is the time to work on yourself! Teach yourself new things, read new books, and learn how to find pleasure in the moments you have with yourself. Also, always remember that your friends and family are only a text or phone call away if you find yourself getting too lonely. – Christina McAlister

Girl At The Beach Walking With Blanket
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

The Her Campus American community is wishing all our readers and their loved ones the best during this trying and surreal time. Stay safe, stay healthy and continue practicing social distancing!

Freelance Girl Working at Home Sitting on Sofa with Laptop and Cat
Illustration by Irina Strelnikova from Shutterstock

Peyton is a student at American University in Washington, D.C. and is HCAU's Editor in Chief. Majoring in journalism and double minoring in political science and creative writing, Peyton intends on graduating in May 2022. Peyton's goal is to write for a major news organization as a print or online journalist. She also wants to continue traveling, exploring and writing about her experiences. To learn more about her and her work, visit https://peytonbigora.wixsite.com/website .
Hannah Andress

American '21

Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus American. Currently an undergraduate student at American University involved in the Global Scholars program studying International Studies and Arabic. Preferred gender pronouns are she/her/hers. Her interests include national security, women in politics, international human and civil rights, and creating an impact that is long-lasting and sustainable.
Carly Elkins

American '20

Carly is a senior at American University and enjoys old cartoons and binge-watching Netflix with her friends. She is a Psychology and Communication Studies double major from New Jersey. Carly just returned from a semester in Copenhagen, Denmark.
Christina studies Journalism and Political Science at American University in Washington, D.C. She has a deep passion for human interest stories, traveling, and politics. Christina enjoys writing for Her Campus because it brings the stories of young college womxn all together like no other platform or news outlet does.