Editor’s Blog: Our Favorite Spots in D.C.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Welcome back to our Editor’s Blog! Here are some spots aroud D.C. that our editors are loving!

Tanvi Purohit, Editor-in-Chief

1. Phillips After 5

On the first Thursday of every month, the Phillips Collection (located near Dupont Circle Metro) hosts an evening of art and entertainment. The gallery picks a theme for the evening, for example this month’s was “Women of Influence,”  and hosts a discussion and viewing of pertinent works. There’s live jazz, a cocktail bar, food, and amazing art. Check it out!

2. The 9:30 Club

If you love live music and late nights, then the 9:30 Club is the spot for you. The 9:30 Club is an old, intimate concert venue that hosts artists of all kinds, from Green Day to Two Door Cinema Club, Neon Indian, and Majid Jordan. This is one of my favorite places in D.C. because you get all the fun of a huge concert packed into a small, low-key venue. Plus since it’s close to the U Street Corridor, you can plan a great night that goes from a concert, to Amsterdam Falafel for a late bite, to Satellite Room for a boozy milkshake!

Shannon Exley, Managing Editor

1. Bishop’s Garden at The National Cathedral

About a mile away from AU, the National Cathedral towers above the streets of D.C. Also located on the cathedral grounds is the beautiful and lush Bishop’s Garden. It is an enchanting spot to stroll through on the weekends especially, so you can take in the lovely flowers while listening to the pleasant chime of the Cathedral bells. There also is a wide-open grassy area, perfect to for kids to run around in. After your walk through the garden, you can treat yourself to a delicious drink or pastry from the Open City cafe located right outside the entrance to this garden. 

2. The Newseum 

The Newseum isn’t your typical museum.  Upon your visit, you’re first directed to start your self-guided tour downstairs where you can see a piece of the original Berlin Wall.  As you make your way up through each level of the museum, visitors can see attractions such as the radio tower that used to rest on top of one of the twin towers that came down in the September 11th attacks.  By the time you reach the highest levels of the Newseum, visitots can study immense walls of printed news stories and sit in on videos from monumental breaking news stories from different points in history, from the Vietnam War to coverage of the current presidential election. Although this museum isn’t free, it is definitely worth your time to check out.

Maggie Miller, Section Editor

1. Theodore Roosevelt Island

This island, in the center of the Potomac and just across the river from Georgetown, is one of the lesser-known memorials in D.C. I didn’t end up visiting it until this past summer, when, on a whim, I walked across the Key Bridge and then across the pedestrian bridge on to the island. It was a weekday, so there were only a few other people there, and it was so incredibly peaceful. I brought a book, and I sat and read under the shadow of Theodore Roosevelt’s statue for about an hour, occasionally watching runners go by on the trails the island has. It was a lovely afternoon, and I recommend it for anyone wanting to step out of the intense city life for a few hours, but who doesn’t want to go far.

2. The Lincoln Memorial

This is a common pick, but it is so special to me that I couldn’t resist. The Lincoln Memorial was the first major D.C. attraction I visited freshman year, on only my second night after moving in with a big group of people from my floor. It felt so magical to be there that first night, and that feeling hasn’t faded at all each time I visit now. It’s a D.C. classic, and considering it’s one of the most beautiful memorials in the city, I’m not surprised.

Sammy Boyd, Section Editor

1. Georgetown Waterfront

Although Georgetown is known best for its cupcakes and shopping, the waterfront area is one of my favorite spots in the city. When the weather is nice, there are always people outside this area walking their dogs, eating lunch, or just enjoying the view of the Potomac. There are several restaurants and cafes nearby, including one of my favorite crepe places, and I love getting food and sitting along the pier. I definitely suggest this area after a long week of classes or work- it’s the perfect spot for clearing your mind and people (or dog) watching.

2. Eastern Market

I went to Eastern Market for the first time a few weeks ago, and it instantly became one of my favorite spots in D.C. There’s an outdoor flea market where independent sellers and artists sell everything from handmade jewelry to paintings of D.C. attractions and more. In addition to the outdoor flea market, there’s also an indoor market that sells meat, produce, cheese, baked goods, and flowers. Although it’s a little farther from campus, it’s easily accessible by metro, which is one of the best things about the area. I definitely recommend checking the area out if you’re looking for some unique art, healthy food, or just a fun weekend activity.

Photo Credit: 1, 2 belongs to the author, 3, 45, 6, 78

Shannon is the former Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus American University. She is a Psychology major and is also a senior on the varsity swim team.
Maggie is a senior at American University studying Broadcast Journalism and International Relations. In addition to writing for Her Campus as both a featured writer and a section editor, Maggie is also involved in Greek life, an American University Ambassador, and is currently interning in the newsroom at Voice of America. When Maggie is not writing, she can be found obsessively reading Buzzfeed, going back through study abroad photos from London, and dreaming about Baked and Wired cupcakes. After graduation, Maggie hopes to work as a correspondent in Europe, and use this as an excuse to travel the world as much as possible. 
Samantha Boyd

American '19

.
Tanvi is an overcaffeinated senior at American University, studying Political Science and Communication. She's originally from Princeton, New Jersey and will defend her home state forever. When she's not managing HCAU, you can find Tanvi somewhere with a functional espresso machine, pretending to study while actually crying over Beyoncé's Instagram. Tanvi enjoys coffee, food, London, and strong female role models. According to a Buzzfeed quiz, Tanvi is the "Smashing A Car With A Golf Club" part of the "Blank Space" music video. In her spare time, she likes to moonlight as a standup comedian on Twitter (@tanvi0731), and read The Atlantic and Vogue.