This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

This month, the Her Campus American editors are talking about the beauty products we swear by.  From makeup to skincare, here are some of our favorite products that we incorporate into our beauty routines. 

Tanvi Purohit, Editor-in Chief

In another life, I would’ve been a beauty editor. I’m a beauty obsessive. No, seriously. My bathroom (which I share with my poor, sweet roommate) is a mini-Sephora. Products are on every countertop and in every cabinet-different moisturizers, cremes, masks, oils, serums, toners, gels; you name it, I own it. I inherited an obsession for beauty from my mom, who taught me that treating your skin with love is one of the best forms of self care. Through all my experimenting and trial runs, I have finally narrowed down a beauty routine that, while extensive, works miracles. When Shannon asked the editors to pick just two products, I had something of a meltdown. After much thought and stress, here are my two favorites:

1. Glossier Milky Jelly Cleanser

This cleanser is a dream. I’m the kind of person that likes to scrub my face off until a new layer of skin underneath is exposed, so I was skeptical about the creamy, “milky jelly” feel of this face wash. But after two weeks of using it, I felt a tangible difference in my skin. My face feels cleaner, softer, and hydrated after I wash. The weird tightness that sometimes comes from cleansers that dry your face out was absent, and was replaced by bouncy, supple skin. Trust me when I say that it’s a noticeable difference – after about a month of using Glossier, a friend was squinting at me and blurted out: “Your skin is so nice, dude. It’s glowing!” Beyond the physical effects, I’m obsessed with Glossier’s packaging and aesthetic. It’s pretty, subtle, and aesthetically pleasing. Plus, their social media game is incredible. I swear by this cleanser, guys.

2. Palmer’s Cocoa Butter

A friend once mentioned to me that he doesn’t moisturize, and I almost threw up. Moisturizing is SO IMPORTANT – I basically have over-moisturized skin at this point, based on how religiously and meticulously I moisturize. My family and friends make fun of me because my post-shower routine is longer than the time I spend actually showering. Joke’s on them, because when I’m 70, I’m going to look 35. If there’s one body product I can’t live without, it’s Palmer’s Cocoa Butter. I was introduced to this miracle product by my sister, and have been using it for the last eight years. The thick, hydrating consistency makes me feel like my skin has an impenetrable defense against the elements. It smells AMAZING – like chocolate, and I promise you that many, many people will notice the delicious scent. Now, some may be turned off by how thick it is, but your skin will thank you for giving it so much chocolate-scented love. It also helps reduce stretch marks over time! Christina Aguilera’s song “Genie In A Bottle” was actually a subtle reference to cocoa butter.  

Shannon Exley, Managing Editor

1. Elizabeth and James Nirvana Rose Perfume

One of my favorite parts of ordering my makeup from Sephora or Ulta is the multitude of free samples that always come in the mail with your order.  For someone who doesn’t physically go out to shop very often, this is a great way for me to try out new products that I won’t see in the store. When I got my latest Sephora order in the mail, I also received several perfume samples, in addition to cleanser and eyelash primer samples. One perfume sample I received was Elizabeth and James’ Nirvana Rose, and I was shocked by how much I liked the scent when I tried it out. Usually, I am very picky about perfumes, which I don’t wear often anyway. And when I need to go perfume shopping, I’ll probably spend an hour just trying out and smelling samples before I can decide on one that doesn’t make me want to puke. This scent is a strong floral aroma, but it isn’t too overpowering.  My favorite part is that once you put this perfume on in the morning, it sticks around all day long, and you never have to re-apply. I will definitely be heartbroken when my free sample runs out.   

2. Urban Decay Heavy Metal Glitter Eyeliner My usual makeup routine does not include eyeliner, and when I try using it, it usually ends up looking like my entire eyelid disappeared. I’m a huge fan of Urban Decay’s Naked palettes, so when I discovered their glitter eyeliner, I thought this would be a fun and exciting addition to try my nighttime makeup routine. This glitter eyeliner comes in several colors from blue to purple, silver, and more. I decided to indulge in tube of the silver glitter, called “glam rock,” and I thought it was the perfect complement to a smoky eye.  Although this glitter takes a couple of minutes to dry once you put it on, there are endless designs you can create with the small tip brush. But seriously, wait for it to dry before opening your eyes because if you don’t, it will end up all over your eyelid. Although New Years’ Eve is still a couple of months away, this should definitely be on your list of beauty essentials for the night.     

Maggie Miller, Section Editor

1. Origins Frothy Face Wash

Making sure you use the right products for your skin is highly important, especially when it comes to your face. While I’ve known about Origins and its products for a while, I recently switched to the Origins Frothy Face Wash after a good friend recommended it and have seen a real difference in the health of my skin. I chose this particular product because my skin is fairly neutral between dry and oily, but Origins has face washes for all types of skin. While the product is a bit more expensive for a college budget ($22), all Origins products use as many natural ingredients as possible, and those ingredients are only sourced in a renewable way. Plus, all bottles Origins products come in are fully recyclable. In this way, you can help your skin while helping the planet, a win-win situation for all.

2. Maybelline Define-a-Lash Lengthening Mascara

When it comes to mascara, there are coutnless options from cosmetic companies. I’ve tried a few since I started wearing make up years ago, and by far the best I’ve found is the Define-a-Lash Lengthening Mascara from Maybelline. For me, it really does what it promises to do, and if applied right, it can really make your eyelashes pop, to the point that I’ve been asked a few times if I’m wearing fake eyelashes. It can be found at any regular drugstore, and is under $10, which is very affordable, and one tube last three to four months. This mascara comes highly recommended. 

Sammy Boyd, Section Editor

1. Tarte Opening Act’ Lash Primer

I was hesitant about this product when I first got it as a gift: I’d heard of primers for your face or eyelids, but never for your eyelashes. However, I was happily surprised by how it turned out. The primer goes on exactly like mascara, except that it’s white/clear, and is then followed immediately by regular mascara. I definitely noticed a difference when using the primer versus just mascara- it makes your lashes less clumpy and adds volume. Although it might seem like an inconvenient extra step in your daily routine, it really only takes a second and the results are definitely worth it!

2. Essie ‘Miss Fancy Pants’ nail polish

I bought this color a few years ago, but recently rediscovered it, and now it has quickly become one of my all-time favorite nail polish colors. I like that the gray is a little more unique than my usual red or light pink, but still seems classy. I also think it’s perfect for fall, and it goes with everything. I always get a lot of compliments whenever I wear this!  I definitely recommend it if you’re looking for a unique fall color.

Photo Credit: 123, 45, 6, 7, 8

Shannon is the former Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus American University. She is a Psychology major and is also a senior on the varsity swim team.
Samantha Boyd

American '19

.
Maggie is a senior at American University studying Broadcast Journalism and International Relations. In addition to writing for Her Campus as both a featured writer and a section editor, Maggie is also involved in Greek life, an American University Ambassador, and is currently interning in the newsroom at Voice of America. When Maggie is not writing, she can be found obsessively reading Buzzfeed, going back through study abroad photos from London, and dreaming about Baked and Wired cupcakes. After graduation, Maggie hopes to work as a correspondent in Europe, and use this as an excuse to travel the world as much as possible. 
Tanvi is an overcaffeinated senior at American University, studying Political Science and Communication. She's originally from Princeton, New Jersey and will defend her home state forever. When she's not managing HCAU, you can find Tanvi somewhere with a functional espresso machine, pretending to study while actually crying over Beyoncé's Instagram. Tanvi enjoys coffee, food, London, and strong female role models. According to a Buzzfeed quiz, Tanvi is the "Smashing A Car With A Golf Club" part of the "Blank Space" music video. In her spare time, she likes to moonlight as a standup comedian on Twitter (@tanvi0731), and read The Atlantic and Vogue.