Editor’s Blog: What We’re Loving This Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Bonjour readers, Her Campus American University’s editors decided it would be great to start a monthly blog post letting you know what we’re obsessed with at the moment. We’re just regular college students who experience the same ups and downs that you do, and frequently obsess over trends, food, fashion, books, movies, candles and other random of-the-moment goodies! Here is what we, your team of editors, are loving this month.

Editor-In-Chief, Claire Shriver

Glossier: The best beauty basics

I know what you’re thinking– another beauty product we’re recommending to you? Yes, and this one I haven’t even tried yet. From the creator of the blog Into the Gloss, Glossier is the brainchild of Emily Weiss and hands down the most creatively marketed online beauty line I’ve seen in a while. Not only is Glossier’s high quality meets playful strategy perfection, but also the line’s message is refreshing in the oversaturated make-up space. According to Glossier, they “believe that beauty should be fun, easy, imperfect, and personal,” and I agree. I love this brand because it was created by young kickass women like our readers, and celebrates what it means to be a girl today. As for the actual product– I definitely plan on giving it a try. 

BROODS

This past week I finally caved and bought Spotify Premium after months of listening to advertisements and getting to know the platform. I discovered BROODS through a playlist Spotify created and have been pretty obsessed even since. The New Zealand duo released their debut album titled Evergreen on Oct. 7 in the US, after a previously released, self-titled EP. It charted behind Lorde in their home country and they’ve previously opened for Ellie Goulding. Give either album a listen; you won’t be disappointed.

Managing Editor, Ali Follman

Baublebar.com

I am addicted to the latest finds under $30 on this online jewlery store. Ear cuffs, elegant earrings and delicate pendants have been on my mind lately. I even ordered from the site while in class once. My housemates have been monitoring my mail because I have been getting so many packages from Baublebar!

This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper

My sister recommended this book to me. It grabs you right from the start and follows a family sitting Shiva for their deceased father. The storyline takes off after the main character discovers his wife is entangled in an affair (not a spoiler because it is on the cover). I must see the movie after I finish the book. Hey, it’s hard enough as it is to read for pleasure in college.

Section Editor, Mikala Rempe

FKA Twigs Debut Album LP1

She’s a new artist from the UK and kicked off her North American Tour a couple of weeks ago at the 9:30 Club. She’s super pro-female, embraces sexuality and is dating Robert Pattinson. This is my ultimate fall album!

“Not That Kind of Girl” by Lena Dunham

It’s by Lena Dunham so it’s amazing. She’s the future of female writing. I love the little cartoons in the margins and it’s perfect way to get psyched for season four of HBO Girls.

Kai CandleThe best candle ever

It has a light scent, fills the whole room, burns clean and for a super long time. It’s also really fresh and is endorsed by Jennifer Aniston.

Section Editor, Gabby Salazar

Bastille Weapon (vs. Angel Haze vs. F*U*G*Z vs. Braque)

Bastille’s new mixtape, VS. (Other People’s Heartache Pt. III), is coming out on December 10th and it’s going to be amazing. While their two other mixtapes, Other People’s Heartache Pts. I and II, featured covers of hit songs, VS. has completely original songs and collaborations with a variety of amazing artists. The band has released three songs from it so far and I am completely obsessed with them. Pre-order the album here and check out the other songs on Bastille’s YouTube channel.

The Office

Though the U.S. mockumentary has been off the air for a year, I cannot stop binge-watching old episodes on Netflix. The off-beat, borderline politically incorrect humor is timeless, the Jim and Pam will they / won’t they relationship and the intertwining storylines are more than enough to brighten 22 minutes of my day. I just finished the series (for the second time) and I’m already watching the pilot episode again. And, to be honest, I’m still slightly upset that Jim and Pam (John Krasinski and Jenna Fischer) aren’t actually married in real life.

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Born and raised in Princeton, New Jersey, Claire Shriver is a Public Communication major and Marketing minor at American University in Washington, DC. She is the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus American, Vice President of Communication for AU Social Media Club and an AU Ambassador. This past summer she interned in the Features Department at Marie Claire magazine and has a passion for travel, magazines, and film photography. Kristen Wiig makes Claire cry with laughter and Adele makes her swoon.
Gabriella Salazar is a junior at American University studying Public Communication and Marketing. She hails from sunny, sunny Los Angeles, California and her proudest moment is meeting Ryan Gosling at the Gangster Squad Premier in January 2013. She's a lover of ballet, wheat thins, food, music and cats; a hater of all things dumb and annoying--like traffic.
Mikala Rempe is a sophomore at American University in Washington, D.C., originally from Omaha, Nebraska. She is a literature major with a minor in creative writing. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Mikala is on staff for the AmLit, AU’s premiere literary arts magazine. In her free time she loves to read, and cook. She spends most of her days accidentally spilling coffee on her own poetry. She hopes this isn't a metaphor.