This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

The rise of Instagram has brought a new twist to the social media platform- finstas. According to Urban Dictionary, a finsta is an Instagram account in which people post photos they only want their closest friends seeing instead of their regular Instagram followers. Finstas are a great way to post things you find funny but only want a few people to see. However, because people can still easily screenshot something and send it to others who do not follow the account, finstas should not be an unfiltered outlet. Here are some Dos and Don’ts of finsta that will help you have a private and fun experience!

DO watch what you post.

Finsta is a place where you can post ALMOST anything. Although finsta is considered a safe space, you never know what can get leaked. Before you post anything, make sure that if it got out that it wouldn’t ruin your chances of getting a job or staying in a student organization.

DON’T worry about likes.

Finstas are a place where you can post what you want, not what you think others want to see. Do not treat it like your real account and don’t worry about how many likes you get on each photo. The whole point of a finsta is to post things that you like. So don’t delete it if your selfie doesn’t get enough likes; it only matters what you think!

Sources: Header, 12, 3