The Do's and Don'ts of Finsta

The rise of Instagram has brought a new twist to the social media platform- finstas. According to Urban Dictionary, a finsta is an Instagram account in which people post photos they only want their closest friends seeing instead of their regular Instagram followers. Finstas are a great way to post things you find funny but only want a few people to see. However, because people can still easily screenshot something and send it to others who do not follow the account, finstas should not be an unfiltered outlet. Here are some Dos and Don’ts of finsta that will help you have a private and fun experience!

DO put your account on private.

Because the content posted on a finsta is supposed to be something you wouldn’t put on your regular account, making it so not everyone can see what you post is the best option. This way, you don’t have strangers or people you don’t like seeing your personal life.

DON’T let everyone you know follow you.

When I first started my finsta, I would get follow requests from people I didn’t know very well. I felt like I had to let them follow me because it would be rude to say no. However, it’s not rude at all to not let them follow you because at the end of the day, you should control who gets to see what you post. Only let your closest friends or other people that you trust follow because you don’t know who they will show your content to.

DO post as much as you want.

Finsta is a judgment-free zone. Therefore, you can post as much as you want all the time! Unlike your real Instagram, you don’t have to feel weird if you post two pictures on the same day. If you see a cute boy and want to post about it in the morning, you can post a funny meme you find that night too. Your followers will appreciate it.

DON’T use your real name.

It’s good to not use your real name with your finsta because it avoids letting people find your account who you don’t want to find it. Usually people come up with clever puns of their real name in their finsta bio. Or it can be completely unrelated to anything to the person. It’s your finsta!

DO watch what you post.

Finsta is a place where you can post ALMOST anything. Although finsta is considered a safe space, you never know what can get leaked. Before you post anything, make sure that if it got out that it wouldn’t ruin your chances of getting a job or staying in a student organization.

DON’T worry about likes.

Finstas are a place where you can post what you want, not what you think others want to see. Do not treat it like your real account and don’t worry about how many likes you get on each photo. The whole point of a finsta is to post things that you like. So don’t delete it if your selfie doesn’t get enough likes; it only matters what you think!

Sources: Header, 12, 3