diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Do’s and Don’ts of Bumble

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Like Tinder, Bumble has swept the online dating world by storm. Swipe left, swipe right, find a date – just like any other dating app. What makes Bumble different compared to its Tinder and OkCupid-like counterparts, however, is its unique way of making women start the conversation first. That’s right, you can match all you want, but only the queen bees can initiate the conversation. All of this is wonderful except for one little catch – upon matching, each person has only 24 hours to start the conversation, otherwise the match expires and (potential) love is lost forever. It’s like swiping left on love, only more heartbreaking.

Over here at HC AU, we’re all about women’s empowerment, so naturally, we’re big fans of Bumble and its unique approach to online dating. But with any dating app, there is an established list of Do’s and Don’ts, or at least we think so! We’ve decided to jump off of our weekly top read article “The Do’s and Dont’s of Tinder,” and bring you an updated Do’s and Don’ts of Bumble for your online dating reading pleasure. Bumble on, queen bees.

WHO RUN THIS HIVE?

DO’S

Find something in his/her profile to start the conversation with.

A simple “hey, what’s up” is fine, but it likely won’t  take the conversation very far. Instead, ask where he/she was in that cool profile photo, or play along with their bio! People don’t get creative with their bios just for a good laugh, they want someone to join in on the joke!

Use recent photos of yourself.

Pictures from a year ago you can totally use, but if it’s from your senior year of high school and you’re a senior in college, it’s time for a profile makeover.

Make it clear what you’re looking for.

Try to find out what your connection is looking for too.  Don’t be afraid to ask, “So, why are you on Bumble?” If you aren’t looking for a hookup, it’s best to know that someone you may meet up with isn’t looking for that either.

Ask the important questions.

Before deciding whether or not you’d like to meet up, try to get to know the person you’ve matched with. This shows you’re genuinely interested and you care! Ask the important questions: you know, last name, age, height, religious beliefs, relationship history, and political values!

Do a background check.

Use your resources to background check your connection, if possible. Take advantage of the fact that it’s way too easy to find people on the internet these days. Pro tip: LinkedIn is an easy way to locate millennials when you only know their first name and the company they work for!

DON’TS

Don’t make a Bumble if you never actually plan on going on dates.

You’re wasting your own time and playing your connections who may have high hopes!

Don’t let your 24 hours expire.

You’ve got 24 hours, make it count, or you might never know what could’ve been! Think of it as swiping left on love, but on steroids.

Don’t go too far out of your way to meet someone for the first time.  

You don’t want to be in a situation where you are too far from home late at night and don’t have reliable transportation to get you home.

Don’t go over to a guy’s house or apartment to meet for the first time.  

Meet in a public place and bring a friend with you for safety purposes (don’t worry, they can hang in the back and pretend not to know you).  Don’t be afraid to turn him down when he asks you to come over to his place, because trust us-he will.

Don’t Let a guy pick you up before you’ve met him.  

As charming as he may have seemed over Bumble messages, you don’t want him to have the ability to drive you wherever he wants…remember that old childhood saying “stranger danger?” Don’t forget it.

Don’t meet up with someone who is only in town for a few days.

Avoid the pain of saying goodbye, unless you’re looking for a one-time thing, then go for it!

Photo Credit: 1

Gif credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 78

Shannon is the former Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus American University. She is a Psychology major and is also a senior on the varsity swim team.