This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Spending a summer in Washington, D.C. isn’t always perfect. Whether you’re taking classes or interning, one thing is certain— the humidity is unbearable. While it may be perfect monumenting weather, the amount of people spending their summer vacation visiting the National Mall is less than ideal. Rather than getting stuck in the crowds on the Mall or going to Bus Boys & Poets three times a week, grab some friends, buy some tickets and head to a concert! The DMV area always gets great performers, especially during the summer. Check out these artists (there’s something for everyone, promise) and get pumped for summer!

May

May 12, 2014; The 1975 – 9:30 Club, Washington, D.C.

The 1975 is an indie rock band that hails from the United Kingdom. Their self-titled debut album was released late last year; it put the band on the map and gave them a huge popularity boost. The 9:30 club has housed some great acts and The 1975 will not disappoint you. Buy your ticket here and have fun rocking out!

May 13, 2014; Chromeo – The National, Richmond, VA

Chromeo, a Canadian electronic duo, have been making strides in the EDM scene the last few months. While they have not released an album in a few years (their next is expected in late 2014), their music has become so popular they landed a gig at Coachella this year. They put on a great performance, so if you’re into heavy beats and having a great time, check them out!

June

June 22, 2014, Zac Brown Band – Jiffy Lube Live, Bristow, VA

As Georgia natives, Zac Brown Band knows how to make good country music. With countless awards and number one albums under their belts, their reign in the country music world is just beginning. Purchase your tickets and put on your best pair of cowboy boots— you’re in for a great show!

June 24, 2014, Katy Perry – Verizon Center, Washington, D.C.

Katy Perry can definitely be described as America’s pop princess— this California girl is on fire. She’s dominating the pop charts with her latest album, Prism, and finally recovering from her splits with Russell Brand and John Mayer. Perry always put on a show in dazzling outfits, so when you go, don’t forget to dress up!

July

July 14, 2014, Justin Timberlake – Baltimore Arena, Baltimore, MD

Everybody’s favorite former boy-bander is back and bigger than ever. Timberlake’s music appeals to everyone; its sweet, its smooth, its sexy and its definitely catchy. Seeing him in concert is a privilege that few have, so don’t you dare pass this opportunity up!

July 29, 2014, Fall Out Boy – Farm Bureau Live, Virginia Beach, VA

Let’s face it— in middle school, you cranked up Fall Out Boy’s From Under the Cork Tree album and bounced around your room to it. After a long hiatus, the boys are finally back. On tour with Paramore and New Politics, Fall Out Boy is definitely stepping up their come-back game. Buy your ticket fast, prices go up!

August

August 10, 2014, Panic! At The Disco – Pier Six Concert Pavilion, Baltimore, MD

Like Fall Out Boy, Panic! At The Disco gained popularity as an alternative-rock band in the early 2000s. They, too, are embarking on a comeback tour to promote their old and new music. The band always puts on an energized show, so relive your middle school days and get a ticket!

August 11, 2014, One Direction – Nationals Park, Washington, D.C.

One Direction is the world’s biggest boy band right now. The cute British boys have dominated charts across the nation, so it’s no wonder they’re bringing their worldwide stadium tour to D.C.! One Direction performs both old and new material at each concert, and the boys are always pulling pranks on stage, so don’t miss out!

This summer is bringing some A-list performers to the DMV. It’s definitely impossible to fit each amazing artist on this list, so if you’re wanting to hit up every show this summer, do a few Google searches! Have a great summer, collegiettes!

Photo Credit: Cover Image, Chromeo, Panic! At The Disco

Gif credit: tumblr.com

Gabriella Salazar is a junior at American University studying Public Communication and Marketing. She hails from sunny, sunny Los Angeles, California and her proudest moment is meeting Ryan Gosling at the Gangster Squad Premier in January 2013. She's a lover of ballet, wheat thins, food, music and cats; a hater of all things dumb and annoying--like traffic.