DC’s Most Anticipated Summer Music Events

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

With more venues opening in DC, there are plenty of fun and exciting events happening this Summer. Between the festivals, concerts and musicals, Summer is shaping up to be a great time to enjoy some live music. Here are some of the most anticipated events this season to look forward to.

1. Lady Gaga’s Chromatica Ball

Lady Gaga’s latest album, Chromatica, was released during the initial wave of COVID-19 in Spring of 2020. Unfortunately, the pandemic prevented her from showcasing this tour on a global scale. Since then, she’s planned an international tour throughout the US and parts of Europe, Canada and Asia. Her tour will arrive in Washington, D.C. on August 8 at Nationals Park. 

1. Hamilton 

Lin-Manuel Miranda’s Hamilton will take residency at The Kennedy Center’s Opera House from August 2-October 9. This is a special showing of the musical because in 2018, The Kennedy Center honored Lin-Manuel Miranda and Hamilton’s director, Thomas Kail, music director Alex Lacamoire and choreographer Andy Blankenbuehler as “trailblazing creators of a transformative work that defies category.”

1. Phoebe Bridgers: Reunion Tour

Phoebe Bridgers will be breaking the hearts of Washington’s young adults this Summer as she stops at The Anthem for her Reunion Tour. This sold-out tour stop is available through Stubhub and other resale sites. This tour stop, rescheduled from last October, is on June 11. 

1. Pharrell Williams’ Something in the Water Music Festival

Pharrell Williams is bringing his Summer music festival, Something in the Water, to Washington in June. This festival, created by Williams, originally took place in Virginia Beach. However, Williams decided to move the festival away from Virginia Beach after his cousin was killed by a police officer at the Oceanfront, stating that city officials need to “talk about [their] issues, talk about [their] struggles so we can get past them.” Williams shared that he appreciates how the festival brings people together and eases racial tension, but that energy wasn’t reciprocated by Virginia Beach’s government. The festival will include artists such as Dominic Fike, Tierra Whack, Tyler the Creator, Gracie Abrams and Calvin Harris. The festival will light up Independence Ave on June 17-19, over the Juneteenth Holiday, which commemorates the emancipation of enslaved African Americans.

Summer is a great time to get out and enjoy some live music around the District. These events, and others, will have everyone out and dancing through the night.

Hannah is a senior at American University. She's studying political science with a focus on race and gender in politics. She loves writing and baking, and can typically be found with a large iced coffee and a pair of knitting needles.