DC Fashion Week 2017: Spring/Summer Collection Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

“It’s not New York,” said a member of the audience when asked about his experiences with DC Fashion Week. While he’s right, we aren’t in the Big Apple, that is certainly not a con to DCFW. The week had it’s fair share of business casual, internship-ready clothes, but there were also international collections and hints of couture reminiscent of life in our nation’s capital. 

Day 1

The designers, as young as 17, were up-and-coming in the industry. They had a diverse range of styles all with eye-popping color and design. The audience cheered on each of the young designers as the models walked, a hopeful view of the next generation of fashion in DC.

DC Fashion Week founder, Ean Williams, welcomed an audience member to strut the runway to kick off this season’s fashion week. He kept the audience entertained through the rest of the night, interviewing each designer after they walked and kept the room full of energy.

The range of designers encompassed everything DC has to offer. One designer talked about how their passion for clothes had been with them since fourth grade, and another mentioned her contradictory double major of chemistry and fashion design. Overall, the highlight of this night was not the clothes but the faces behind them. 

Day 2

We found out at the door that this event was 21 years and up (the venue’s rules, not DCFW), so I wasn’t able to see the event. We did, however, see Voice of America conducting interviews outside, and the models walking over to the venue from a hotel across the street. I later found out that the main collection, Corjor International, was also scheduled to close Day 4 of fashion week, which made the night less disappointing.

Day 3

This day was dedicated to emerging and independent designers. The collections were generally a blend of men and women’s wear ranging from lingerie to evening wear. Each designer was unique and innovative, but I’ve put together some highlights of the night.

To feel good, a man must look good, according to Ainsley and Troupe, a brand inspired by nature. 

Stanlion prides itself on affordable luxury, and the designer shared an inspirational story about how just a few years ago he attended DCFW as a guest admiring the runways he now walks on.

The Fancy Fox is a lingerie brand inspired by the annual Victoria’s Secret fashion show. The young designer behind this brand modeled in NYFW, but this was her first time showing her own collection.

VRS (Very Rich Style) showed a more business casual collection at their second appearance at DCFW.

SL Fashion Design relies on one woman to design, create and sell their pieces. 

VI II VI Clothing is a ready to wear collection that stays fun and edgy.

Frances Jerard closed the show with a collection reminiscent of 1920s luxury, all about elegance to inspire women to dress their best everyday.

Day 4

The last day of the week was dedicated to international designers showcasing their globally inspired looks in DC. Each designer had a unique look influenced by personal experiences that made the show interesting from start to finish. 

Nandi opened the show with a fun collection all about closing the gap between regular and plus-sized style. 

Ites International Design creates fashion fit for royalty: classy and elegant with a Caribbean flair. 

The Ellen London Collection, from Thailand, showcased bold wearable art created with older women in mind. 

“Quality is truly one of a kind,” according to The Jasmine Boutique, a Cambodian brand that creates more formal evening wear. 

The last collection of the week was by none other that the founder of DCFW, Ean Williams. His collection included contrasts of blacks, whites, and bold colors possibly inspired by famous celebrity looks (Beyonce’s Formation hats, Sia’s hair cut, masks used during a Kanye West tour, etc). Hailed as “the reason fashion is present in DC,” Corjor Incorporated’s collection was a fitting end to this season’s show.

DC Fashion Week has been named one of the best tourist attractions in DC twice, and that title held true. Their next event, the presentation of Fall/Winter collections in February, is bound to be just as show stopping.

All photos belong to Andrew Evans. 

To learn more about Katie or get in touch with her, please visit katiemaloneportfolio.wordpress.com/.