The Collegiette’s Guide to the Super Bowl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

The only Super Bowl touchdowns to be concerned about? The commercials and the fabulous Beyonce. Okay, maybe not all viewers are tuning in primarily for Sasha Fierce. Here’s what you should know about the game, the teams and planning the perfect party.

Top Things to Know

Teams: San Francisco 49ers vs. Baltimore Ravens

Team colors: Red, gold, white, black (49ers); Purple, gold, white, black (Ravens)

When: Sunday, February 3

Where: New Orleans (The locations are picked a head of time and not based on any of playoff-winning teams’ locations.

What Super Bowl is this? XLVII or 47th

Fun Facts

The 49ers Head Coach Jim Harbaugh is facing his older brother, Ravens Head Coach John Harbaugh for the second time. It’s the first time in NFL history that siblings are playing against each other in a Super Bowl as head coaches.

Schedule

Kickoff Time: 6:30 ET

Channel: CBS

National Anthem: Alicia Keys

Halftime Performance: Beyonce and Destiny’s Child (our prayers have been answered)

Best Snacks to Make

No football game is complete without snacks. These recipes are both delectable and easy to tackle. 

Nachos and Salsa – A classic tasty snack with little effort needed. (recipe via Recipe.com)

Super Bowl Pretzel Treats – While these do require a little more time than the nachos, they’re salty, sweet and a great way to incorporate team colors! (recipe via Hershey’s)

Pepperoni Pizza Monkey Bread – Instead of ordering a pizza, impress your friends with this creative monkey bread.  (recipe via Bloghungry)

Super Bowl Cupcakes – Easy to decorate for the occasion!

A Little Extra

Go the extra yard and take your Super Bowl celebration to the next level. It’s the little details that will make your party unforgettable!

Super Bowl Commercial Rating Signs (via Studio DIY)

Printable drink tags (via Occasions Online)

A football cake pan (via Rakuten)

Follow Her Campus AU’s Super Bowl Pinterest board for more Super Bowl party ideas!

Photo credit: http://www.standard.co.uk/incoming/article8476409.ece/ALTERNATES/w620/beyonce-super-bowl

Lesley Siu graduated from American University in May 2013 with a BA in Film and Media Arts and minors in Marketing and International Business. Originally from Hawaii, she loves photography, fashion, travel, social media and everything Parisian. She has interned at GLAMOUR magazine in New York and Washington Life Magazine in DC, but her proudest accomplishment is founding Her Campus American in 2011 while interning in Melbourne, Australia. You can usually find her reading a magazine, enjoying a hazelnut latte or posting a photo on Instagram... and sometimes, all at the same time. Follow her on Twitter: @lesleysiu and visit her blog.