Culture > News

Climate Activists of Color to Have on Your Radar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Greta Thunberg went from protesting alone in August 2018, to corraling teens and young adults around the globe for climate change strikes this past September. It is a feat that should and has been recognized because when the youth comes together to make change, the world notices. While a lot of the conversation surrounding climate change has been about how people of color and low-income communities are affected the most, there has been little talk about climate activists of color who have been at the forefront of the movement. We’ve rounded up a list of climate activists of color that should be on your radar. 

Amariyanna Copeny

Also known as ‘Little Miss Flint,’ Amariyanna Copeny has been one of the leading voices when it comes to Flint, Michigan’s ongoing water crisis. Flint is now five years into the crisis and Amariyanna has continued to work towards bringing awareness to the issue. She started having weekly water distribution events for those living in Flint and continues to use her voice to raise awareness about other environmental issues.

Autumn Peltier

Peltier is a member of the Wiikwemkoong First Nation and the Chief Water Commissioner for the Anishinabek Nation. She has been an advocate for clean water since the early age of 13 and growing up she was taught the sacredness of water and believes everyone should learn what she has. She has had multiple speaking engagements to raise awareness about the fact that there is a lack of clean water in numerous indigenous communities. She was recently nominated for the 2019 International Children’s Peace Prize.

Feliquan Charlemagne

Charlemagne is 17 years old and the National Creative Director for the Youth Climate Strike. He was born on a small island in the Caribbean but had to move to the U.S. due to the impact of climate change on his home. Through his activism, he raises awareness about how low-income communities of color are affected by climate change and how they will not be able to live through these conditions.

Karla Stephan

Born to Lebanese and Syrian immigrant parents, Stephan became an advocate at a young age. She is the National Finance Director for the Youth Climate Strike and believes in protecting the earth’s resources. Through her work with the Youth Climate Strike, she hopes to partner with sponsors to gather enough resources for the organization to reach its goals. 

Although what is covered in the news cycle ebbs and flows, the climate crisis our world is facing is an ongoing one, and if adults will not solve these problems, then it is time to look to the youth for guidance. 

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4

Carol Wright is a senior at American University studying Journalism and Business and Entertainment. When she's not writing for Her Campus she is working on her online magazine Nyota.